1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wonder bag

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by cosmos, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Has anyone seen this? It was featured in the Times today. It is a bag, like a mini bean bag, that cooks your food without electricity . You bring the ingredients up tp boiling point, pop the pan in the bag and go away and leave it to cook. Just like a slow cooker but the cost is minimal. Originally designed for third world countries as it uses much less fuel thus reducing deforestation.
    It costs £30 but when you buy one you are also buying one for an African family. I'm intrigued and am considering buying one. Soups, stews, curries etc all do well. Even porridge and rice pudding! A tester said she even did her Christmas pudding in it
    there is a website:nb-wonderbag.com or you can see it at thetimes.co.uk/food.

2. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I would say that it is worth buying for that purpose alone.

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

as the sole earner in my family, I just wish I could be that generous: £50 is week's shopping for us so a £30 charitable outlay is out of the question.

4. It would be interesting to find out how long it would take to recoup the money. Can anyone work it out?

5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

It's like the old idea of a hay box, I think they were often used to save fuel during WW2 and they were still used at Guide Camp in the 70s. It was just a wooden box packed with hay for insulation and the food cooked in the retained heat.

6. primarycat

primarycat Established commenter

Old post I know, but I have something similar which is also from SA and I love it! I use it for rice, stews, pasta sauce etc. Anything in there needs to have liquid to keep cooking, and if I do a stew or something with cubes of meat I tend to take it out and reheat on hob about half way through to make sure it cooks properly. It is also good to keep food warm in without drying out. I like it because it uses only residual heat so I don't worry that if the cat investigates and knocks it over I have a heat source unattended. I was given mine, and probably would never have thought to buy it, but use it loads and really love it!

7. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

Haven't seen them for sale for ages here in SA - I guess they have all been emigrated to the UK! I've never seen them used for actually cooking something, rather for keeping large amounts of food warm during the day to be served out as lunch at taxi ranks and street corners.
    A story from the UK newspapers was in yesterday's Sunday paper so they'll probably make a reappearance (it was in the English language paper next to the food reviews so it'll have been noticed by the middle classes)