1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Women's gymnastics

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gargs, Jul 31, 2012.

1. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

Gymnastics is a sport where I really do admire the skill and dedication of its athletes.

Although the floor looks relatively easy, the beam looks horrific, a false move and it could really hurt!

Again though we didn't come that high up! The Americans slaughtered the field, maybe in the UK we should copy their model of the importance of sport at schools and we might do better in future Olympics.

Did feel sorry for the Russians though. Don;t cry girls, Silver is still a bl00dy good performance!

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Russia wouldn't have won even if they'd gone clean. They were just outclassed by the Americans.

However, knowing you've not done yourself proud hurts when you are that age! Not to mention landing on your head.

3. Jonha

Jonha New commenter

Some of the women are physical perfection and stunningly beautiful to boot. I think the lady was from Romania? She did the floor exercise to a Pink Floyd song. Curves, grace and amazing beauty.

4. The Romanians were very stylish. There are many times when I wish they would ditch the music for the women's floor as so much of the choreography is poor but the Americans and Romanians seem to make it work really well.

5. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJXXGyVly_g
    I just had to check this out again to compare Olga's definitive 1972 performance with today's top gymnasts. How enthralled we were back in 1972 - I adored her!
    My inexpert eye has concluded that, whilst the moves of today's athletes are more complex, she still leads the way where aboslute gracefulness is concerned.

6. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I think you mean Sandra Izbasa. She's stunning, as a gymnast and a woman. So jealous.

7. fantastischfish

The British choreography on floor is, I'm sorry to say, woeful at best. And for some reason, British gymnasts only do 3 tumbling passes instead of 4 like the Americans and every other country, so we're at a disadvantage immediately as our difficult score is lower.
    I felt sorry for the Russians. Russians and Romanian gymnasts are put through a particularly rigorous selection and training programme, and life is not very easy in their countries. It must be difficult to see the USA girls, with all the benefits they have in their training, funding and their home lives, come along and take gold from them.
    That said, there was no-one going to bet the Americans. They had difficulty throughout the team and only a total balls up was going to prevent them from getting gold. Shame that China didn't perform better.

8. fantastischfish

Olga and Nadia's performances are so characterful as well, which I love. They are smiling and enjoying themselves (it seems!).
    Nastia Liukin is considered to be one of the most graceful gymnasts around these days and, though her routines are very different from those of Nadia and Olga, she does just about manage to balance the more complex tumbling expected with lovely leg and body lines and balletic dance moves.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_80QQF-KcU
    Sorry for all the posts....I'm a bit obsessed where gymnastics is concerned!

9. Jonha

Jonha New commenter

Ah yes, thank you. Just googled to check....couldn't take more than a few seconds as she is too beautiful. Still, no need to be jealous, Eva - I'm sure you are a stunner yourself. :)

10. fantastischfish

Ha ha! Oh bless you. I wish!

11. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I've just watched the clip: really impressive and I see what you mean. (I still think Olga wins it for pure charm though - minus the complex moves.)