1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Women's gymnastics

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gargs, Jul 31, 2012.

1. gargs

gargs Star commenter

Not sure I can stand another day like yesterday...
    but I'm watching it anyway!

2. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

They are so graceful, aren't they?
    I don't like the bar though - it terrifies me!

3. Women? Most of them look like KS3. I hope they're not on whatever the Soviets gave their girl gymnasts to stop periods and breasts growing. Olga Korbut is about my age, yet looks like a babushka as a result.

4. gargs

gargs Star commenter

I think the youngest in team GB is 15, but some of them are as much as 21!

5. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Oksana Chusovitina from Germany (Orignially USSR then Uzbekistan) is 37. She's in the vault final.

We're not going to get a team medal anyway.

6. Bloody hell, 21. I've socks older than that. I hope whatever they're doing now affect their bodies and health in later life.

7. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Niiice.

8. gargs

gargs Star commenter

I was hoping that there is a 'doesn't' missing from that sentence!

9. anteater

anteater New commenter

It's extremes, isn't it? I'm sure what they are doing now can't be as bad for their bodies as the kids the same age whose only exercise is tottering around on high heels whilst necking alcopops.
    And Bob - about those socks....[​IMG]

10. aspensquiver

Oh maybe there is. I do hope so.

11. doesn't
    sorry

12. gargs

gargs Star commenter

Does anyone know why some of the team are wearing red and the rest are wearing blue?

13. aspensquiver

Thought that was uncharacteristically mean of you, BV.[​IMG]

14. Tigger1962

Tigger1962 New commenter

GB is in blue - USA and Canada are in red

15. gargs

gargs Star commenter

You're right. Think I was confused by some footage from a previous day when they were wearing red.[​IMG]

16. One thing I've always been curious about is where some womens gymnasts wear gym shoes but most have bare feet - is there a rule about this or is it preference?

17. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Beth Tweddle bucks the usual trend as she is 27. She's also still extremely good.

18. Any of you older ones remember Elena Mukhina? Back in the Nellie Kim days or Natalya Shaposhnikova (who never ever smiled?)
    I remember she broke her neck, but did not know she had died at the tender age of 46 from her quadroplegic injuries until I just checked her out on Wiki.

19. Yes I do remember her. I didn't know she had died. That's sad.

The USA team were awesome today - they looked to be in a class of their own.
    Beth looked good on the bars - keeping fingers crossed for the bars final.
    I always hated the beam - it really hurts when you fall on it. That said I damaged my neck falling off the bars, doing something really easy as well - it is usually the case as you don't concentrate quite as much.

20. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Beth Tweddle is 27 and considered fairly ancient in gymnastic terms. However, there is a German gymnast competing at the age of 38! Her story is that she competed for the Soviet Union. Then, she moved to Germany, got citizenship and starting competing again in order to make money to pay for her son's cancer treatment. Amazing story.