1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Women of a certain age - help!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by DottyLou, Dec 17, 2010.

1. I was just drinking a mulled wine with my daughter (first one of the evening, promise) and suddenly out of the blue my face turned bright red in patches round my cheeks, chin and throat and I felt like I'd been on the beach all morning - boiling hot skin.

It's gradually fading away now. Is this what a hot flush feels like, or am I reacting to something in the wine? I've never felt like this before.

I am very late forties.

2. Annoying, innit.
    U is old.
    Join the club.

3. pomunder

pomunder New commenter

Miss Pom gets this when she drinks a bit of fizzy; red spectacles, just sensitive, I'd guess.

4. Yup - happens to me every time. At the Xmas do, I took a single sip of my G&T when I arrived and lit up like one of those oldfashioned coal effect electric fires. A sensitive colleague ( also a woman of a certain age) said loudly "Good Lord look at you! Are you having a hot flush?" inviting all those around us to gaze in wonder. Beatch. Revenge is a dish best served cold.

5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

This happens to me with wine but I'm Ok with G&T or Baileys. I've also developed a taste for Irish Whiskey which I didn't used to like. I suggest you experiment.

6. I suppose I'm going to just have to put up with it - it's horrible; I always thought a hot flush was just a feeling of being a bit warm, like when you're cooking on a balmy day, but this was like being burnt in the midday sun.

I shall enjoy this excuse to experiment with different drinks though!

7. Does it only happen with alcohol? When I was having hot flushes I had to lay off booze because it made an already heated situation ten times worse.

8. It's only happened once (so far) and that was a mulled-wine related incident.

Maybe it was a random anomoly <hopeful face>

9. Time for scientific investigation!
    Pick an evening you have nothing to go out for. Settle yourself with a mug of mulled wine and a large mirror.

10. [​IMG]
    I like you style LOTF!

Sorry to hear OP - let us know if you try the experiment.