1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Women in Computer Science

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by JaquesJaquesLiverot, Feb 29, 2016.

1. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

This is an American study, but I suspect that you would find a similar picture here - the Computer Science department at Warwick told me that the proportion of female students has been in decline since the 80s.

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2014/10/21/357629765/when-women-stopped-coding

The reason here might be different, though. In the 80s, programming was taught in schools - there was a fair proportion of girls in my O level Computer Studies class. In the 90s, although it was in the ICT National Curriculum, programming all-but-disappeared from schools, making programming a niche interest that (mainly boy) teenagers did at home.

My hope (and, indeed, expectation) is that introducing Computing to the National Curriculum will reverse this trend. What do you think?

2. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

No great surprise here.
    It is interesting though that in Scandinavia participation rates (while still not even) are much better at around 20% and in Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand the numbers are almost equal .
    In many of these countries they don't teach any form of IT/CS at school level

I have always suspected that cultural difference have a much bigger influence that will always far outweigh any school based intitatives

3. pixiewixiepixie

pixiewixiepixie Occasional commenter

4. pixiewixiepixie

pixiewixiepixie Occasional commenter

Oh for goodness sake, get a grip!

Stop censoring perfectly harmless if somewhat biased points of view. There was nothing offensive, derogatory or terrible about my post and neither did it break any rules, unless someone has had a humour transplant. No wonder there are so few posts on these forums now.

5. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

oh pixiewixie, what have you said to the mods now?

However, I do agree that they seem to have lost several layers of skin recently, so maybe they've been feeling the cold a bit more than usual, and so are especially more grumpy.

6. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

Don't suppose Lara Croft counts?