1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Women born in 1954

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Nov 29, 2018.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

We haven't had a good deal.

2. hs9981

hs9981 Lead commenter

3. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

My mortgage still has a way to go.

I'll take your advice as kindly meant, and thank you for it. However, walking alone at night for a 64-yr-old isn't always a good idea!

4. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I’m a little younger, but not by much. Yes, the changes were not well communicated and the transition stage too quick. I took my teachers pension at 60 and it’s fine but you don’t realise how long that period from 60 to 66 or more is until you are in it. Hence, part time work as well. (Not that I’m wishing my time away. I’m not.)

Plenty of people still have mortgages. This will be even more true in the future with people starting on the housing ladder later.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Being born in 52 and still in April but after the cut-off point of the 6th, I sympathise. :(

Alice K, catbefriender and Jamvic like this.
  6. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I was born in 1955 and also took my teacher's pension at 60. I wouldn't like to have been working in Early Years until the age of 66. At least I had the TP, I feel for other women my age doing jobs with no pension working until they drop.

7. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

People say we were informed over 20 years ago. We weren't! And then they kept changing the goalposts. I only got the official letter when I was 57. I had factored in getting the state pension at 60, when I took early retirement.
    Making us wait another SIX years was just callous.

8. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

I took time out to look after the little waves. So not enough teacher pension to live on. I’m living off savings and getting my health sorted (insomniac doesn’t help) I staggered out when I retired at 60. Another six years teaching and I would have pegged it.

9. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Mrs JD was born in 1954 and has to wait until July next year for her state pension. A friend who was born a few months earlier is getting hers.

She is not vehicle very happy about it.

HelenREMfan and catbefriender like this.
  10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Apologies to any pedantics for my fat fingers missing the 3 and putting in a 2.:oops: Of course that 'cut-off point was of course 6th April 53
    And as Dunty says
    Even up to a year ahead we were under the impression that it would be a 'staggered system' from 1950-55, until they suddenly decided there would be a cut-off point. :(
    Well it was a sort of staggering, as I have friends in my schoolyear who have a difference of 9 months. Someone in Feb, got hers on her birthday in Feb. Anyone like me born in April had to wait 3+ months, friends born in June/ July had to wait 6+ months :mad:

emerald52 likes this.
  11. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

Just to remind people that
    as you wait for your state pension by some devious means, you will become liable for extra NICs for the years in between early retirement and getting your state pension.
    And some people are offered the chance to buy these which cost say 700 hundred pounds for each year.
    But
    If you do any childcare for your grand children, and your daughter is working and paying NICs you can claim these for yourself. It does not have to be regular care, or even when said daughter is at work, just contributing to the well being of a working family, so sleep overs count.
    You just download a form and fill it in and your daughter signs it.
    This is claiming the double NICs that women have - they work and pay NICs and they are attributed NICs by claiming Family Allowance.
    It is just a pity they cannot allow your own double NICs from the past but Hey - this is Monopoly.

12. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

And the working parent has to transfer any child benefit credits to the person looking after the under-12 child.

13. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Thanks for that @Nellyfuf2. I've just filled in the forms.

agathamorse likes this.
  14. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

If they are working they will have paid their NI anyway.

nomad likes this.
  15. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Only if you are still working,surely? I assume that if you take your teaching pension at 60,you don't have to pay NICs,unless you are in paid employment?

16. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Women are getting the equality they always wanted. What's so bad about that?

Sir_Henry, border_walker and nomad like this.
  17. nomad

nomad Star commenter

In fact she is trucking annoyed.

18. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I don't think they wrote to you personally.The changes in the 90s and later were on the TV news or newspapers. Of course, it's easier to get info nowadays with constant access to Internet and news stories popping up on your phone.

However, I agree that the further change, when people thought they were safe is somewhat unfair.

border_walker likes this.
  19. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

If their income for the year is above the lower earnings limit.

20. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Well that applies in my case. If people are ineligible then they will find out when they apply. What is your problem?