1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Woman's Hour Power List - The most influential women

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Jul 1, 2015.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

This will be announced on the prog today. I can name friends, family and ex colleagues but i struggle to think who in public life has influenced me. I'm a big radio 4 listener so I suppose producers of progs like Womans Hour and Today have exerted some influence and there are presenters like Mariella Frostrup and Kirsty Wark I admire along with writers eg Zadie Smith whose writing I enjoy. Older women eg Katherine Whitehorn and Sheila Hancock set a good example of keeping engaged into old age but I don't know how much I'm influenced by them.

2. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Margaret Thatcher has to be up there (although this my not fit your definition of 'influential'.) Estelle Morris. Joanna Lumbley. George Elliot.

3. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Don't they usually select from commerce, charity, politics? Most of last year's were names I didn't recognise- apart from Doreen Lawrence of course.

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

5. Nebka

Nebka New commenter

I think in no order of priority they are for me, the following women are impressive Christine Lagarde, Mother Theresa, Nicola Horlicks, samantha Cristoforetti, the Queen ,Angela Merkel and Kiri te Kanawa

6. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Anna Wintour - really?

Angelina Jolie, I can sort of see

Nicola Sturgeon- no, no, no

Don't know the other one.

7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

As usual my response is Oh yeah - I'd forgotten about her! [​IMG]

As it was influence that was being judged I thought they should be women in the media and I suppose politics as several of these are.