1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Woman who gave water to dehydrated pigs in slaughter lorry faces 10 years in JAIL

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FrankWolley, Dec 1, 2015.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  2. VanEyssen

VanEyssen Established commenter

I can't think of one to boycott.

3. Erin_Rhys

Erin_Rhys Occasional commenter

Maple syrup.

What a horrifying story.

FrankWolley likes this.
  4. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

They ship ex American race horses to Europe for meat via Canada apparently. I am up for a boycott. So much for MrReMfan's maple syrup!
    I have emailed Canadian government re the racehorse thing too

midnight_angel and FrankWolley like this.
  5. VanEyssen

OK. I'll l boycott racehorse meat.

6. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Was it dry-cured bacon?

7. Cantandmorecant

Cantandmorecant Lead commenter

Terrible. But if you boycott Canadian products you should also boycott British products and all other European products. We do the same, as does Europe, Animal campaigners worked for years to get this inhumane trade stopped. They succeeded and the British government banned it. No live animals were transported to Europe until the EU forced the UK to resume this horrifying trade. So any boycotting should be done on an EU wide basis if it's to make any sense at all. The trouble is, there will be practically nothing left to eat, use or buy.

8. FrankWolley

Are animals in the EU termed as simply 'property' with no rights, such as the right to be fed/watered? Not sure that the treatment here is quite the same as in Canada?

midnight_angel likes this.
  9. Cantandmorecant

Yes. No rights. Many travel for two or more days with no food, water or rest. The Canadian example is mild by comparison.

10. FrankWolley

Have any animal right supporters in the EU been threatened with 10 years imprisonment for watering animals in a lorry?

And can you explain why the Government says this, then?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/farm-animal-welfare-during-transportation

midnight_angel likes this.
  11. Cantandmorecant

I would be surprised if they had since animal rights campaigning is not such an issue there as it is in UK and Canada. So you'll be boycotting on an EU wide basis then?

12. FrankWolley

Not sure you are right about this - laws in EU protect animals in transit.

13. Cantandmorecant

Purely upholding existing EU law as well as dating back to 2011. It is clear however about court judgements against the UK for banning live transportation.

"But the clear legal position, confirmed by two past judgements of the European Court, is that this is a legitimate trade within the European Community and that restricting it or banning it could not be defended in law. Our policy is therefore to ensure full application of the EU rules on our territory, and, importantly, to encourage other member states to do the same."

14. Cantandmorecant

No I'm right about it. The standards imposed by this country were far higher than those of the EU. We then had to sink to their level after losing EU court judgements. Clearly animal rights have more importance here than that given to them by the EU.

15. Cantandmorecant

Any decision on the EU wide boycott?

16. FrankWolley

So why does the Government say this:

General good practice
    To help ensure your animal movements are within the law, the following measures are recommended:

• plan journeys thoroughly and keep the duration to a minimum
    • ensure the animals are fit to travel and check them regularly
    • ensure vehicle loading and unloading facilities are constructed and maintained to avoid injury and suffering
    • ensure those handling animals are competent and don’t use violence or any methods likely to cause fear, injury or suffering - see the page in this guide on training and competence certification for animal transporters
    • provide sufficient floor space and height allowance
    • provide water, feed and rest as needed

17. Cantandmorecant

To save on time and fuel?

Sick or dead animals wouldn't be paid for? = less money.

Are the heads of animals reaching the ceilings of containers avoiding injury and suffering?

I always thought there was a difference between guidance, implementation and enforcement. Didn't you?

Is animals treading on each other and heads reaching the container ceiling "sufficient floor space and height allowance"?

Does water dispensers not working, food not given and animals being short-changed by hours count as "as needed"?

Any decision yet on the EU wide ban?

18. FrankWolley

You haven't convinced me that you are right, so I'll stick to boycotting all Canadian products for now.

Feel free to boycott all EU ones if you want.

19. midnight_angel

midnight_angel Senior commenter

A woman faces jail for showing a little compassion? I despair.

20. VanEyssen

Anita is the co-founder of Toronto Pig Save, a vegan organisation which holds vigils for animals on their way to slaughter.
    I despair.