1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Woman who bore rapist’s baby faces 20 years in El Salvador jail

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FrankWolley, Nov 12, 2018.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Want a story to get angry over? Try this one...

NB I'll blame (in major part) the Catholic Church (as well as the abuser, of course - who has yet to be charged).

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...years-in-el-salvador-imelda-cortez?CMP=twt_gu

A rape victim is facing 20 years in jail charged with attempted murder, after she gave birth to her abuser’s baby in a latrine in El Salvador.

In a case that highlights the rigidity of the country’s abortion laws, Imelda Cortez, 20, from an impoverished rural family in San Miguel, has been in custody since April 2017 after giving birth to a baby girl fathered by her abusive elderly stepfather.

Cortez was rushed to hospital after her mother discovered her in severe pain and bleeding heavily. The emergency room doctor suspected an abortion and called the police. Officers found the baby healthy and alive.

Cortez had been abused by her 70-year-old stepfather since she was 12 years old and said she had no idea she was pregnant. The baby survived, but Cortez was charged with attempted murder, denied bail and sent to jail after a week in hospital.

2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

3. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

I didn't think I would have anything to be angry about today. Thank you for filling that empty space in my day.

Aquamarina1234 likes this.
  4. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Abortion laws in South and Central America are particularly brutal, with many women being imprisoned after miscarriages. Or not receiving the medical care they need because it is feared that it may impact on the foetus.
    It's horrific.

FrankWolley likes this.
  5. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Savages. I'm not supposed to look down with disgust and contempt upon nations but this kind of thing - and it is by no means an isolated incident - make me long for the ability to march in and impose some decency. Anyone who suggests the UK is in no position to grab the moral high ground is welcome to go and live in El Salvador, Saudi or Afghanistan.

6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

i know. As a woman,I so often consider how lucky I have been to grow up in Europe (France first,then UK).

7. Photo51

It's not luck. Give the credit to your parents for their choice.

8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Their choice? Not sure what you mean.

9. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Women who have miscarriages and stillbirths in this country are not always treated well-and there was a recent case where a woman was accused of killing her child after a stillbirth at 7 months. OK, so it's far rarer-but it happens, and we don't seem to give it much publicity. Men are often treated as if their feelings don't matter and expected to return to work striaght after a mc. Women are left sitting on their dead babies on a hospital corridor for 6 hours. People suffering cot death are imprisoned-what about that lawyer a few years ago? She would have known that she could have had an abortion, so why would she have had children if she didn't want them-yet she was accused of murder when she should have been pitied. So while this story disgusts me, I'm not proud of things in this country either.

10. Aquamarina1234

No comparison. One is institutionalised, legalised brutality, the other is a rare systems failure within a democratic welfare state.

11. Photo51

We are literally the same as El Salvador. What are The Guardian doing about it? ? Deflecting criticism to El Salvador

12. FrankWolley

By all means campaign for the changes you think needed here. I think the differences are pretty clear. For example would a programme like this be shown in Central/South America?

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...-mine-stillbirth-dignified-moving-documentary

13. Aquamarina1234

Dictionary.com is your friend.

knitone likes this.
  14. Photo51

Dictionaries are an oppressive tool of the elite. The people should decide what words mean.

15. FrankWolley

They do...and then lexicographers put them in dictionaries!;)

Aquamarina1234 and knitone like this.
  16. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

I, one of the people, have decided that in certain contexts the following meanings apply:

Informed - complete
    Poster - pillock

You, Sir, are an informed poster.

InkyP, Aquamarina1234 and FrankWolley like this.
  17. Photo51

Typical gender assumption that complements hate speech.

18. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

O.K

You, Sir/Madam/Miss/Ms, are an informed poster.

19. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

20. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

:rolleyes: