1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Woman in Black

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Doglover, Mar 18, 2012.

1. I saw the film several weeks ago, before I read book.
    Now I have read the book, and how I wish I hadn't!! I was very disappointed. I expected the book to be better than the film, although the film was very good.
    I usually avoid watching films based on books and vice verse. For this reason.
    I just wondered what other people who have read the book and watched the film thought.

2. I saw the film several weeks ago, before I read book.
    Now I have read the book, and how I wish I hadn't!! I was very disappointed. I expected the book to be better than the film, although the film was very good.
    I usually avoid watching films based on books and vice verse. For this reason.
    I just wondered what other people who have read the book and watched the film thought.

3. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

I thought the film was not that great. It was ok, but didn't think the acting or storyline were up to much. I haven't read the book.

4. See the show in the West End if you can - it is amazing. (agree though the book wasn't as good)

5. The book and play are far better then the film.

6. I am willing to accept that I may have found the book better, if I had read it first.
    I normally don't mix books and films.

7. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I have read the book but haven't seen the film.
    The book scared me! Not sure whether the film would be as frightening.

8. My husband took his mother to see the play (before it opened "proper"). He came back saying he had never been so scared in the theatre before!

They were sitting in front of the director & producer - who were really pleased by their reactions!!

9. My fiance saw the play in the West End years ago and said it was amazing, although he couldn't remember the twist at the end. He did say it was good though.
    I did enjoy the film, but thought it was pushing it in terms of a 12A rating. There were very young children at the screening we went to (like 6 and 7) and they were taken out in tears.

10. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

I saw the play in Edinburgh while I was training to be a teacher. It was so scary, really amazing, without a doubt the best play I have ever seen. I don't know how it would translate to film? I'm too scared to watch it!
    The twist in the end is that one of the actors sees the Lady in Black and believes her to be an actress, when in reality she is a ghost. The good thing about seeing the play is that the Lady in Black appears amongst the audience when you see her for the first time. Cue lots of screams from the children that attended my placement school!

11. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

I'm not very good with scary films, and we were tossing a coin between The Descendents and The Woman in Black, but The Descendents won.
    I subsequently bought the book of The Lady in Black, and read it in one go - more of a short story if anything. I hated the ending. I concluded that it was a nasty and unpleasant little tale that added nothing to the world's great literature, really.

12. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

My daughter was surprised when she saw the book I had bought, having seen only the film. She hadn't realised that the film was based on a book. "How could you make a book out of that?" was her reaction. She had found the film a bit of a waste of time.

13. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I must admit that I was disappointed by the ending of the book. It should have ended happily but you are left with the feeling that the curse will continue down the generations.
    It made me feel sad.