1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Woman in Black. Help!

Discussion in 'English' started by aliek, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Hi just wondering if there is anyone out there who has or knows where there are some resources or a scheme of work for The Woman in Black. I love this novel and really want to teach it to my year 9s but am a very new teacher (as you can tell by the number of threads I've started this week alone!) and need a starting point.

Would be eternally grateful...

2. Hi just wondering if there is anyone out there who has or knows where there are some resources or a scheme of work for The Woman in Black. I love this novel and really want to teach it to my year 9s but am a very new teacher (as you can tell by the number of threads I've started this week alone!) and need a starting point.

Would be eternally grateful...

3. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Occasional commenter Forum guide

Try youtube for a clip

4. roamingteacher

5. Thanks for suggestions will definitely check them out.

Would be grateful for some advice on this novel and how it goes down with year nine age group. I have six weeks to teach it and plan on including some other ghost stories, discussing the conventions of ghost stories, getting children to write their own, dramatising parts of the novel, getting pupils to write letters, diary entries etc. Was thinking of kicking off by reading some local ghost stories together and getting the pupils to research their own. Any comments/ideas hugely appreciated (can you tell I'm starting to panic!)

Love the novel but it doesn't really get going until chapter four...how have other teachers tackled this?

6. gingerella

gingerella New commenter

Go to the Fortune Theatre website and there is an excellent education pack.

7. gingerella

gingerella New commenter

I always start with watching 'The Others' and analysing how the opening sequence is typical of the genre, I then get the pupils to write the opening of a ghost story which they come back to later. I don't have a SOW as such but I have a six week plan, loads of IWB stuff and some exemplar work. Post your e-mail and I will send it all to you on 23/8, I am not going in to school before then.

8. Has anyone else out there taught this novel? If so, how do you deal with the first chapter as I think the story really beings in the second chapter. I'm vaguely tempted to leave the first one out altogether as I think it might well switch off the kid's interest straight away. On the other hand, could do some kind of activity that involves searching for 'clues' which hint at the story the narrator is about to tell us and predicting what it might be.

Any thoughts?

9. roamingteacher

Gingerella - I'd be very grateful for a copy of your resources too please.

Many thanks,
    RT

10. There is a play version of Susan Hill's Woman in Black on at the Fortune Theatre in London that is fantastic if you have the chance to take students. They also have a Drama SOW you can download from their website at www.thewomaninblack.com

A teaching friend also uses the apparent real life story of Darkwood Manor to develop student's appreciation of ghost stories as a lead in to Cirque Du Freak - a helpful website is www.darkwoodmanor.net or you can just google it!

Hope the above is of some use...

11. roamingteacher

If you email me I can send you a scheme.

webquestzone@yahoo.co.uk

But I'm away for a week from tomorrow so unless I receive an email soon it'll probably be when I return

12. roamingteacher

PS Please just email if you want the scheme as I won't be checking this thread again.
    Best wishes

13. I am also doing woman in black with year 9 and would be grateful of all resources! first job and beginning to panic that i'm in over my head! Thank you! caroline@glod.co.uk

14. I'd be most grateful if you could also e mail me a Woman in Black SOW. It's for my top set year 9's. Many thanks in advance,

Caron Fitzgerald
    HOY 11