1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wolverhampton - anyone applied?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by eannie, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Hi All

I've applied to Woverhampton to do Secondary English. They're refusing to even hold interviews until they have numbers from the TDA. It seems odd! Why can't they hold the interviews - then at least when they finally get numbers, all the hard work will be done and they can just appoint. To hold back like this scuppers my chances of getting a place somewhere else if I'm rejected. I'm not a happy bunny, as I've just lost my bursary as well. No bursary means I'll have to finance my little one's nursery myself. I have six months to save £5,000 to cover her nursery costs whilst I'm training. Bang goes the new kitchen I've worked really hard for. I'm beginning to wonder whether it's worth it!

2. Hi All

I've applied to Woverhampton to do Secondary English. They're refusing to even hold interviews until they have numbers from the TDA. It seems odd! Why can't they hold the interviews - then at least when they finally get numbers, all the hard work will be done and they can just appoint. To hold back like this scuppers my chances of getting a place somewhere else if I'm rejected. I'm not a happy bunny, as I've just lost my bursary as well. No bursary means I'll have to finance my little one's nursery myself. I have six months to save £5,000 to cover her nursery costs whilst I'm training. Bang goes the new kitchen I've worked really hard for. I'm beginning to wonder whether it's worth it!

3. Hi,
    I've applied to Wolverhampton for secondary psychology. I had an interview back in the middle of December - my application was sent out on the first day GTTR was working, and it took 6 weeks before I heard I had an interview. So they did hold some interviews, but then clearly decided not to do any more. There were a number of subjects being interviews for when I was there, one of which was English because I was talking to a girl about it, but there only seemed to be a handful of people for each subject- as in less than 5.
    The week before last I had a letter apologising that they couldnt give offers until the TDA allocations came through, so just waiting to hear now - its been so long! The subject leader at my interview said they wouldnt be giving any 'conditional' offers before the funding was released, as he said they couldnt legally do so!
    I hope we all hear something soon, though I'm very nervous as the number of places on my course has been halved from 10 to 5... rubbish.

4. Hi
    That's really interesting. I wasn't aware they'd held any interviews at all. I applied late, as I only graduated from the OU in September and due to financial commitments, couldn't do my work experience until November, so my application went in during the first week of December.
    I had a letter last week too, asking for patience. However, I still don't see why they can't at least get all the interviews over and done with. They are only creating themselves more work by delaying, and holding others up in the process.
    Only 5 places on your course? Wow - that's tough! Actually, I had no idea you could do a PGCE in Psychology - sounds far more interesting than English! It sounds as if they want you though, otherwise you'd have been rejected by now, but I understand the added pressure of reduced places.
    I don't know how many English places there are - I've tried to call the University several times but keep getting the answer machine. I keep leaving messages and emailing but getting no response.
    The very best of luck to you with your application. I hope we bump into one another on campus!

5. I applied too, but only recently. I got this email yesterday though:

Dear Caroline,

Further to our recent letter regarding the delay in the announcement of the number of teacher training places for 2011/2 entry, we are happy to be able to confirm that the University has recently received our allocation and we are now working our way through the applications that we have received as quickly as possible.

We would like to apologise for any inconvenience this delay may have caused but would ask that you are patient with us whilst we work through a large volume of applications. If you have any queries in the meantime please log a Helpdesk call through e:Vision. We will endeavour to answer all Helpdesk calls within 8 working hours.

To log onto e:Vision, go to www.wlv.ac.uk/eVision - you will need your Username (which is your 7-digit student number, shown at the top of this email) and your password which was sent to you in an email when you first submitted your application. If you cannot remember your password, please use the "Forgot your password" link. A new password will be sent to

Yours sincerely,

University of Wolverhampton Admissions Team

So I think they should be getting back to people soon enough.

6. Ahh sorry, I always forget macs take out the paragraph breaks!!

I applied too, but only recently. I got this email yesterday though:

Dear Caroline,

Further to our recent letter regarding the delay in the announcement of the number of teacher training places for 2011/2 entry, we are happy to be able to confirm that the University has recently received our allocation and we are now working our way through the applications that we have received as quickly as possible.

We would like to apologise for any inconvenience this delay may have caused but would ask that you are patient with us whilst we work through a large volume of applications. If you have any queries in the meantime please log a Helpdesk call through e:Vision. We will endeavour to answer all Helpdesk calls within 8 working hours.

To log onto e:Vision, go to www.wlv.ac.uk/eVision - you will need your Username (which is your 7-digit student number, shown at the top of this email) and your password which was sent to you in an email when you first submitted your application. If you cannot remember your password, please use the "Forgot your password" link. A new password will be sent to

Yours sincerely,

University of Wolverhampton Admissions Team

So I think they should be getting back to people soon enough.

7. Hi Caroline
    That sounds hopeful - good luck with it!
    I've just heard I didn't make it to Woverhampton, as the "course is full". I'm really annoyed because they held onto my application for 2 months. If I was that far at the back of the list, they should have just rejected me.
    I'm going to write to them as they've scuppered my chances of getting in anywhere else. I just can't understand how they can go from vacancies to course full, when they said they hadn't even held interviews! I'm pretty cross!
    Thanks for the update though, and the very best of luck with your application.
    Annie

8. Hey guys,
    I've just heard that I've got an unconditional offer for the secondary psychology course - I'm over the moon!
    Hope you get good news x

9. Oh, that's wonderful news. Well done!!!!!! I'm sooooo happy for you.
    I've been exchanging emails with them like mad and I'm on the waiting list for English, but there's no way I'll get in. They only had 10 places, and 3 deferred from last year, leaving 7 actual places. They held all the interviews in December, but held onto me in case none of them were any good. There is a slim possibility I might make it in because the English bursary was scrapped and some of the applicants might not be able to take up their places due to finances. However, the words the tutor used were "a very very long shot, so don't pin your hopes on it".
    My application's with Warwick, but no-one gets in there, so I'm not hopeful. My only other choice now is to travel all the way up to Keele and I'm not sure I want to travel that far, or have the expense!
    I may wait until next year. Although the course fees will increase, by then, there might be additional funding, and at least my little one will be in school so there will be nursery costs.
    Take care xxx

10. Thanks :) I'm thrilled.
    Wow that's tough.... I hope you do manage to get on, from reading things on this forum and The Student Room forums lots of people are saying they cant afford to do their courses without the bursary, especially for subjects such as English when it would have been £4000.
    Good luck, at least you know that they're interested in you so if you do have to reapply next year you should hopefully get a place x

11. Well I hope that the very, very long shot comes through for you! You never know. I've still not heard from Wolverhampton yet, Manchester were a lot quicker rejecting my application, so maybe it's a good sign? Or maybe I'm living in hope and grasping at anything I can!

Newman is now full and like you said, Warwick is so hard to get in to I'm not sure it's even worth me wasting up to 28 days applying to be honest. I'm in a similar situation to you where I'm looking for something as close to home as possible, but it's not looking likely. I would move for a PGCE course but it's the problem of the costs of moving, rent, deposit etc. that would be an issue!

12. I do feel sorry for you - I'm in exactly the same boat. I applied quite late (it's a long story!!) and my first two choices are full and there is no third choice local to me. I've put an email in to Keele to see whether they have any English placements over Walsall way (about half an hour from my house) so as soon as I hear back from them, and if it's positive news, I'm going to withdraw my application from Warwick then make a decision whether to go to Keele or Worcester (or try both!). As you say - it will be 28 days wasted leaving it at Warwick!
    I'm absolutely worn out with it all. I think the whole process this time around has been horrid - what with the UCAS website playing up, then providers holding on to applications. In some ways, I'd rather leave it until next year. Although the course fees will be £6K next year, at least I can load the whole lot onto a student loan and have no nursery fees (my little one starts school next year). Whereas this year, I needed to find £5K for nursery fees, as well as a student loan for the course fees. My husband earns just over the threshold fror nursery fee assistance, so we'd probably be better off! Trouble is, it would be another year of lost pension and at my age (41) I need all the years I can get!
    Keep me posted and take care xx

13. Hi all,

I have just completed the PGCE at Wolverhampton, I've just got my QTS :D. If anybody would like any advice or guidance on what to expect in terms of assignments, placements, structure of semesters etc then just let me know. I would be happy to help!

Luke.

14. Hi Luke
    Well done - I'm really pleased for you. What subject do you teach?
    Thanks for the offer of help. I have loads of questions really, but have narrowed them down to 5:
    1) How many hours were you putting in each day/week?
    2) What were the assignments like (were they all essays/word length etc)
    3) Was there anything about the course you didnt like
    4) What were the school placements like?
    5) Did you get good support from your tutor?
    Please don't worry about answering them all - just any info you could give would be greatly appreciated!
    Once again, many congratulations in gaining QTS. Will you be starting work this September?
    eannie