1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wold snooker championship

Discussion in 'Personal' started by red_observer, Aug 10, 2020.

1. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I absolutely cannot stand pi-polar people; they're just so amazing.

Norsemaid and red_observer like this.
  2. George_Randle

George_Randle Established commenter

Whirlwind v Hurricane.

As so often at the Crucible it's the semis that contain the real fireworks. I was abroad in 1985 so missed Dennis Taylor's black ball duel against Steve Davis.

3. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

I remember staying up to watch that! Also Terry Griffiths matches could go on to the early hours especially when Eddie Charlton and Cliff Thorburn were playing!!

4. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

I think that probably covers most; I guess Terry Griffiths would be just outside that. It also backs up O’Sullivan’s claim in the video above that the standard nowadays is a lot lower.

red_observer likes this.
  5. red_observer

I would think that the standard must be higher with so many players in the game and he is comparing everyone to his incredible standards and ability.

colpee likes this.
  6. George_Randle

George_Randle Established commenter

Yes there were some great battles of attrition between them.

Watching a series of increasingly tricky safety shots can be as gripping as the fireworks.

peter12171 likes this.
  7. gainly

gainly Star commenter

In the 1977 World Championship there were 6 century breaks. Last year (2019) there were 100 century breaks. That doesn't seem to show standards are going down.

red_observer likes this.
  8. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

Why is the snooker championship taking place in the Wold this year? I'm pretty sure it always used to take place in the Sheffield Chest Clinic.

9. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Good point. On reflection, it probably is the case that his opinions are skewed by his ability. There are possibly more good players than there were, but this means there are fewer outstanding ones.

10. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Snooker: a game for men with brightly coloured balls.

11. red_observer

?? It’s at the Crucible...

peter12171 likes this.
  12. red_observer

There’s no question standards are higher now

13. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Its a bit boring though, innit? I mean plenty of ball skills, but hardly earth shattering stuff!

14. red_observer

Well up to you isn’t it!

15. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

It doesn't say that in the thread title.

red_observer likes this.
  16. red_observer

:D:D

17. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Lead commenter

There's has been some wonderful play this afternoon between Mark Williams and Ronnie O Sullivan .
    I'm enjoying the match between Kyren Wilson and Judd Trump too.
    I used to watch snooker with my parents in the days of Alex Higgins and the tail end of Cliff Thorburn etc and the emergence of Steve Davis .When he started to wane I lost interest but have gradually picked the interest back up and I am enjoying watching it again .

red_observer likes this.
  18. red_observer

Williams is the more statesmanlike person although he let slip with a swear word. O Sullivan is disrespectful and a bit unhinged. Brilliant player but I prefer Williams every time

19. red_observer

Semi finals today.

woukd think it wi be Selby v Wilson final or the one I want to see. Ronnie’s recent behaviour and comments just put me off. Would love to see Wilson winning it.

20. shakes1616

shakes1616 Established commenter

Where does the word "snooker" originate? Does it originate from the English word to be snookered? My guess is it's the other way round that to be snookered comes from the game snooker. If so, what does snooker mean.