1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Woke marketing: Gillette

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Jan 14, 2019.

?

Will a political message make you buy a particular product?

1. Yes

10.5%
  2. No

34.2%
  3. It would make me stop buying that product

55.3%
  1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

What were they thinking?

2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

What don't you like about it?

agathamorse likes this.
  3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Beats the new "8-blade" closer action guff (are we up to 8 yet?) and women stroking men's chins.

I don't mind it.

But don't go spoiling it by splashing on some Savage afterwards
    [​IMG]

Masculine
    Virile
    Unforgettable
    Found my brand!

agathamorse and Vince_Ulam like this.
  4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

About 99.5%.

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

It's too early to have to watch drivel like that... I think I need to wash my brain.

EmanuelShadrack, Vince_Ulam and nomad like this.
  6. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

What about it is drivel or offensive?

agathamorse likes this.
  7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Perhaps Gillette should stick to advertising and selling little sharp blades and associated shaving paraphernalia and not try to tell people how to live their lives.

T34, vinnie24, FormosaRed and 5 others like this.
  8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Or that their shaving paraphernalia doesn't set you on the road to saintliness.

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

About sums it up...

Preachy is off-putting.

10. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

I can see that the message fits with the target audience they're aiming at (young men/millennials), that don't think certain behaviours are acceptable any more.

That said, personally I don't like the implication that most men are this way. I think they've taken a risk with it, but I can see why as millennials tend to put cause over cost behind their buying decisions. .

11. Vince_Ulam

I look forward to Tampax TV slots attacking their prior customers for alleged negative qualities relating to their sex.

FormosaRed and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  12. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

The question at the top is a bit misleading though through placing it with this advert. A better question would be: do you think a political message in an advert would effect your purchasing decision? Because it depends on whether you agree with the message to if you would buy that product or avoid it.

13. Vince_Ulam

Stay downwind or your birding days are over.

Scintillant likes this.
  14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

''We love supporting women during that difficult time of the month, but what we don't love is women that make false rape claims. We need to work together to end this blight on femininity.''

15. firstpoet

firstpoet New commenter

It’s a cynical ploy to ‘position’ a shaving product as having ‘values’ while pretending to support some kind of liberal agenda. As a a sop they’re donating £3million to some charity from their enormous profits ( if you’re a shaver you know just how expensive their blades are). You need to do some Media Studies.

xmal, vinnie24, FormosaRed and 3 others like this.
  16. Vince_Ulam

17. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

I don't need my media studies qualification to know companies will use popular issues and interests in order to sell more of their products whilst rarely having any real connection or interest in them.

Considering many people don't watch TV adverts these days, they've done a great job at getting people to view it.

agathamorse likes this.
  18. Vince_Ulam

Then hate it.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  19. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

20. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Itll be interesting to see if they pull it