1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wobble

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Countrygirl_78, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Countrygirl_78

Countrygirl_78 New commenter

Hello all NQT's. I've been reading a few posts and wanted to get an idea of how others feel. In a nutshell, I have reached the point of overwhelmedness. Are others out there like me? It has finally reached the point where I am fed up with using my weekends and evening to try and keep on top of my work load but only covering the minimum.
    Does anyone else know what I mean and how I can keep the positive vibes going? I think it's down to stress and timing. What are your thoughts?
    Positive comments needed please.

2. Sorry I don't have anything positive to say but I hear what your saying! No matter how much I do it is never enough, the workload in my school seems ridiculous. We just get over 1 learning walk AND book scrutiny and what do you know, it's time for the next one!
    I've got no motivation anymore and I am that exhausted that I'm losing the will to make good lessons all the time. Some day's I just need to be able to do a simple lesson to regain energy and lighten the workload but if I do this I get shouted at by the HOD. Surely 1 book/poster lesson after months of 'proper' lessons won't hurt anyone?
    I am counting down to the next half term and clinging on to the fact that the summer holidays will be here soon.

3. I totally agree with you guys, work load is completely insane. Sometimes I feel like crying as I start to think of everything I have got to do. The day to day things are just sooooo much that I haven't even touched my things to do list yet!!!!
    The main thing is to make sure you are in contact with other NQTs as they are going through exactly the same thing as you!!! Another issue with me is that I always seem soooo calm , well that could be a positive as then everbody else thinks I've done it all before!!! I have some friends who are now in to their second year of teaching and the situation seems the same for them at the mo!!
    Sorry, didn't mean to make you feel more stressed, but always remember that there are lots of other people in the same boat as you!!!

4. Ditto! And it worries me that I can't make lessons fun like I want to! Just feel that there are so many things to include that it loses sight of making the learning engaging. The stress far outweighs the [minimal] enjoyment. Feel like I never have anything positive to say about the job anymore.

5. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

I feel exactly the same. Recently I've been wondering how long I really want to stay in teaching because I resent just how much it eats into my spare time. Granted I knew that it would be like this before I started, and there are plenty of things I could do to help myself. I'm very lucky in that the school I work in is fantastic - very supportive (crucially where behaviour is concerned) so I know that if I felt an overwhelming urge to leave it would be because of the job. The government's changes to education don't help - heaping more and more pressure on teachers. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when Gove declared that if teachers love their jobs they will work longer days and have shorter holidays! It's just indicative of the demands placed on us. So frustrating, as in so many ways it is the best job in the world.

6. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

You are definitely not alone! The day we were back after half term I was counting down the days to Easter. I know teaching isn't a 9-5 job, but I feel like I do nothing but work and sleep. Wouldn't it be lovely to have a system where you weren't allowed to take work home, so after the school was locked up for the night it was your free time, and if something wasn't done but you'd been at school until lock-up then no-one could tell you off because you'd done all you could to get it fitted in? I am tired and overwhelmed by everything. No idea how to stay positive (apart from thinking: "4 weeks until Easter...").

7. I am was an NQT last year. I work less this year and have learned to work much smarter. You figure out you can't do everything and you work out which things can be left. You are not under so much scrutiny regarding your planning etc, so this gets easier and you will get much quicker at doing things. Don't lose heart, things will get easier. I don't work much at weekends and generally don't work many evenings either (maybe two evenings). Work life balance has got much better and I am enjoying my teaching as I am more relaxed. It is bound to be harder now as it takes time to get quick at things, but honestly if you stick with it, it really should improve.

8. Twigs85

Twigs85 New commenter

You are NOT alone! I also feel exactly the same - I'm losing motivation, but find myself feeling guilty for cutting corners (aka not working all Sunday! or feeling lazy. What annoys me so much is how much my school sweats the small stuff (prettiness of work seems to be as important as quality, everything's for Ofsted/school profile etc). I've also had to lower my high expectations of myself and realise that I can't do everything to my best capacity, otherwise I'll have no life and I don't want a breakdown (which has seem very close at times). What keeps me going, through all the tears and sleeplessness and constant colds, is remembering my lovely class are full of wonderful, funny individuals and not just statistics I have to force through SATs (difficult to remember in my school sometimes!). I always try and remember one funny or positive thing that happened that day and hold on to it. Easier said than done! But it must get easier (please?!), that's what my colleagues say...