1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WJECENGLISH/ ENGLISH LANGUAGE JANUARY EXAM- EXAMINER TIPS PLEASE

Discussion in 'English' started by magic star, Dec 11, 2011.

1. This is the first time our pupils have sat the WJEC exam, as we've always done AQA, so apologies in advance if this question seems more than a bit idiotic [​IMG]
    Bearing in mind that each question on the non fiction reading paper is worth ten marks, do pupils need to make ten points in order to earn them? I know this is the case on the information retrieval questions, but I seem to recall reading or hearing somewhere that 6 points plus evidence/ explanation would be enough to get A/A* on the other possible reading questions e.g impressions, viewpoint. Any tips to help sort a confused brain would be gratefully appreciated! Thanks in advance.

2. This is the first time our pupils have sat the WJEC exam, as we've always done AQA, so apologies in advance if this question seems more than a bit idiotic [​IMG]
    Bearing in mind that each question on the non fiction reading paper is worth ten marks, do pupils need to make ten points in order to earn them? I know this is the case on the information retrieval questions, but I seem to recall reading or hearing somewhere that 6 points plus evidence/ explanation would be enough to get A/A* on the other possible reading questions e.g impressions, viewpoint. Any tips to help sort a confused brain would be gratefully appreciated! Thanks in advance.

3. The secure area of the WJEC website has some past papers on it. Yes, this is the first year of the new spec but old Paper 2 is the same as the unit 1 and 2, so there is plenty of material for you to look at. Some old mark schemes are there as well. I think - and I haven't got any paper work to hand (or the desire to look it up - to be honest) - it says that half marks is E (so 5/10) on the FT and half marks is a C on the HT. For the top grades, students are going to need to get 8-10 marks. It's also worth remembering that most of the questions are marked in 'levels of response'. I also get students to: 1 ensure they write enough - approx a side, 2 plenty of short embedded quotations and analysis of the language. There was something else but I've forgotten it! One final thought, the WJEC exams are not too dissimilar to the non-fiction paper of AQA so the skills are transferable.

4. Thank you, ArthurDent. I feel a bit reassured now. We've got the embedded quotes approach nailed and a focus on the language. How much analysis do you recommend? Word level? It seems WJEC aren't keen on device spotting and commenting -is that right? Also, what advice do you give pupils about the persuasive techniques question? I've still got my AQA head on, but am I right in thinking pupils don't need to refer to presentational devices, it's just language and how it has been used to influence?

5. The effect created by the device is more important than spotting the device. Getting students into the mindset of always commenting and analysing is the hard part. If they are embedding short phrases or words, then, analysis of the effect the words have is the next logical thing to get students doing as a matter of course. In the A1 question - which is often the 'what is it about?' type question, the use of short quotations etc. shows students have assimilated the article being read. With WJEC, it would seem that if the question wants you to analyse presentational devices it says so - usually.

6. sunflower48

sunflower48 New commenter

Can you explain the Magic Money Cards please. Just looked at website but would prefer an explanation from someone who has obviously used them.

7. sunflower48

sunflower48 New commenter

I presume you have used Writing Magic Money Cards. Can you explain them in more detail please.

8. This is something I try and batter out of my pupils as soon as I get them, preferably in lower school! 10 marks rarely, if ever, equates to "five points with quotations explained thoroughly" or "ten points" or any other ratio of points:marks. with the possible exception of a question that asks you to "list pieces of information" and says "you may answer using bullet points if you wish", which will (probably) only ever occur in question one of a WJEC English Language Unit 1 paper (previous spec. Paper 2 Section A).

Decent, extended stylistic analysis of fewer examples can gain 10 marks far easier and more quickly than aiming for a certain amount of points with quotations.