1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WJEC Year 10 English Lit controlled assessment - help please!

Discussion in 'English' started by iheartpoetry, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I'm a PGCE student with a set 2 English class. I'm currently preparing them for a controlled assessment on representations of conflict in Romeo and Juliet compared with war poetry (Wilfred Owen and Thomas Hardy)
    My question is regarding teaching methods. I am aware that they need to keep improving their structured writing skills but I feel as though I am constantly setting them the tasks of filling in comparison grids and SEED paragraphs. Can anyone suggest any more engaging/creative methods to use to prepare them for writing balanced arguments and considering the theme of conflict? I have done various styles of debate, asked them to write diary entries and to give presentations to the rest of the class and now I'm at a bit of a loss. Not much guidance from the exam board either! (Can you tell I'm inexperienced?!)
    Any ideas at all greatly appreciated. I want them to be prepared for the exam but I also need them to be fully engaged in the learning process as their attention span can be low.
    Many many thanks.

2. Hi all,
    I'm a PGCE student with a set 2 English class. I'm currently preparing them for a controlled assessment on representations of conflict in Romeo and Juliet compared with war poetry (Wilfred Owen and Thomas Hardy)
    My question is regarding teaching methods. I am aware that they need to keep improving their structured writing skills but I feel as though I am constantly setting them the tasks of filling in comparison grids and SEED paragraphs. Can anyone suggest any more engaging/creative methods to use to prepare them for writing balanced arguments and considering the theme of conflict? I have done various styles of debate, asked them to write diary entries and to give presentations to the rest of the class and now I'm at a bit of a loss. Not much guidance from the exam board either! (Can you tell I'm inexperienced?!)
    Any ideas at all greatly appreciated. I want them to be prepared for the exam but I also need them to be fully engaged in the learning process as their attention span can be low.
    Many many thanks.

3. purplefizz

purplefizz New commenter

Where is their class teacher?! Make sure they understand conflict and the different types of conflict presented. Ensure they know the key scenes inside out. Have a look at the mark scheme and make sure they are able to access the grades. Don't overdo it and overcomplicate matters. Keep focused on the task and the outcome.