1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WJEC UMS Help!

Discussion in 'English' started by recliningbuddah, Mar 10, 2012.

1. recliningbuddah

recliningbuddah New commenter

Can anyone else get their head around this? (I've copied and pasted the advice given to a previous forum member on here by Hugh Lester) and it's the bottom bit I've put in bold that doesn't make any sense:
    "The uniform mark scale (UMS) is used for unitised specifications to enable marks from units taken in different sessions to be combined fairly to give the correct overall result. Each unit is allocated a certain number of UMS marks based on its weighting. For example, in English there are 200 UMS marks. Unit 1 is worth 20% of the assessment. Therefore the unit is allocated 40 (i.e. 20% of 200) UMS marks. The conversion from "raw" (i.e. actual marks for a unit) to UMS is not simply a mathematical calculation. It is based on the relation of the raw mark to the grade boundary established for that unit. (I GET THIS BIT!).
    Controlled assessment grade boundaries will be established each year in the same way as those for exam units. Controlled assessment will be submitted for the first time next summer, and these boundaries have not yet been established. Therefore at this stage it is not possible acccurately to convert "raw" CA marks to UMS. However, if notional grade boundaries based on the legacy specification marking are applied (i.e. 12/20; 48/80 = C; 14/20; 56/80 = B) a rough calculation may be made using the UMS tables in the specifications (GCSE Eng p10; GCSE Lang p11; GCSE Lit p11). It must be stressed that these are NOTIONAL boundaries only and may change when CA units are awarded each year. Bearing this caveat in mind, here is an example (based on GCSE Lang). Unit 3 CA has a UMS of 60 (i.e. 30% of the assessment). The candidate has a "raw" mark of 48 / 80 for his Unit 3 CA. If the boundary for C is set by the awarding committee at 48, this mark will then convert to 36 on the UMS scale (see chart p11)."
    I've got the said chart from page 11 in front of me and I really cannot see how the raw mark of 48 converts to 36 on the UMS scale - can anyone else? I've got a candidate with a raw mark of 55 - how does she convert on the UMS scale?
    I am totally confused and I desperately want to get an idea of on overall grade and whether or not my pupils should resit higher. I would greatly appreciate any advice RB

2. If you're working in raw marks then stick with raw marks. Don't go near UMS. The key is to find the raw mark boundaries. This can only be from the previous season so cannot be 100% as they change from season to season.
    I don't know the spec you're referring to to but have you seen this?
    https://www.wjecservices.co.uk/MarkToUMS/default.aspx?l=en
    It shows both the raw mark and the UMS boundaries for WJEC.
    What spec is it? unit?

3. recliningbuddah

Hi yes thanks, I've seen those and got the conversion for the Unit 1 and 2 exams; but I'm trying to convert the Unit 3 (CAs) and the Unit 4 S&L and then use that chart on page 11 as Hugh recommends. I need to be able to justify that some pupils should be entered for Higher so at least they have a shot at getting a B grade.
    E.g.
    Unit 1 UMS = 26
    Unit 2 UMS = 22
    Unit 3 Raw mark = 55
    Unit 4 Raw mark = 44
    How do I convert these 2 raw marks - Hugh says you can use the chart but it doesn't make sense that a raw mark of 48 converts to a UMS of 36 on that chart.
    Any ideas?
    [​IMG]

4. What's the spec code? Is it a new spec per chance?!

5. recliningbuddah

Sorry, yes the spec code is 4173 and 4174 the new English Language spec

6. Aha! There's the problem. There are previous raw mark boundaries as it's a new spec, therefore anything you do to try and predict is going to be very very rough!
    Sorry I should have read the first bit properly.

7. recliningbuddah

Mmmm yet Hugh suggests that you can roughly work it out, but I can't work out how to convert those figures mentioned above using the chart Hugh talks about...

8. He's referring to using legacy data to try and predict what it might be, then using the table. Give me a minute to try something!

9. They aren't as generous as OCR/Edxcel. You have to pay for legacy marks schemes to see previous boundaries.
    Sorry can't help [​IMG]

10. mediadave

mediadave New commenter

The way I've worked it out for rough marks is to use the percentage boundaries where 50% is a D, 60% a C, 70% a B, etc.
    So for example, a candidate with 48/80 raw marks would be 36 UMS marks, because both give a percentage of 60.
    You'll need to go through each candidate, or else set up a formula on excel. But essentially work out out the raw mark percentage and then find out what that would be as a percentage of 60. E.g. 48/80 is 60%; 60% of 60 is 36.
    Unit 4 has the same number of raw and UMS marks - i.e. out of 60 - so you don't need to convert them.

11. recliningbuddah

Thanks for you help - I'll have a go at it.
    The other thing which has struck me tonight - when we upload our marks for the sample - am I correct in assuming that you add up the total of the narrative, descriptive and lit essay as a total out of 80 and report that figure and then you add up the S&L (average out of 40) plus the Spoken out of 20 and report that as a separate figure?
    I think I know the answer to my question now I'm properly looking at the 'summary of assessment' page with the raw marks and the ums marks!
    RB