1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WJEC Shakespeare/Poetry Comparison Controlled Assessment SEN Group. I am panicking!

Discussion in 'English' started by Kim40, Jan 26, 2011.

1. I am teaching a Year 10 group which comprises students with target grades of C-F. They are only doing English, so they are not following the plan for the other English groups. As this is the first time through, I am feeling a bit on my own with this.
    Although I am an experienced teacher, I am feeling a bit out of my depth preparing them for the controlled assessment. I would know exactly how to prepare them for old style Shakespeare coursework, but the demands of the controlled assessment have thrown me a little! Many of the students are dyslexic and others have language processing difficulties. Most are entitled to extra time and many can have readers or scribes.
    The issues I have are:
    How much help can I give them with their notes sheet?
    How can I help them to remember the content of the key scenes?
    How much analysis of language is expected for the C grade student to achieve their targets?
    How can I help those with erratic attendance?
    I would be very grateful for any help/advice from someone else doing this GCSe with SEN students.
    Apologies if this has already been covered!
    Thank you
    Kim

2. I am teaching a Year 10 group which comprises students with target grades of C-F. They are only doing English, so they are not following the plan for the other English groups. As this is the first time through, I am feeling a bit on my own with this.
    Although I am an experienced teacher, I am feeling a bit out of my depth preparing them for the controlled assessment. I would know exactly how to prepare them for old style Shakespeare coursework, but the demands of the controlled assessment have thrown me a little! Many of the students are dyslexic and others have language processing difficulties. Most are entitled to extra time and many can have readers or scribes.
    The issues I have are:
    How much help can I give them with their notes sheet?
    How can I help them to remember the content of the key scenes?
    How much analysis of language is expected for the C grade student to achieve their targets?
    How can I help those with erratic attendance?
    I would be very grateful for any help/advice from someone else doing this GCSe with SEN students.
    Apologies if this has already been covered!
    Thank you
    Kim

3. 1) You can guide but not proscribe what their notes contain. Do it orally, look over notes in lesson and out of lesson and remind students generally what they need. When talking to a student comment on what they need a bit more of so that they can take the action. With SEN students it's probably the regularity of this during the note taking period that will be key. Content of key Scenes: suggest they write a few key words to remind them. Remember they can have the text in the exam. Not a very helpful answer coming up: as much analysis of language as has always been needed for a C. Erratic attendance: keep a paper register for the group so you can track this, first and foremost. Secondly, use LSAs to take students out so that they can catch up if they have missed a session and the rest of the class have finished. Make sure they use the extra time. For a four hour CA, that's usually an extra hour. Hope that's a good starting point for you. I've been listening to my faculty ask was are, to me, silly questions, but are very important to them as they are 'not sure'. Actually, they have been right every time and, I suspect, you are also right in what you want to do. It's not that radically different.

4. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions and giving me a good starting point for the next stage of my planning. I am reassured that I can redirect their note taking as they go along. I will also spend some time advising them on how to use their scenes during the assessment.
    Thanks again,
    Kim