1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WJEC - RMT CAT Exemplar Materials...?

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by pennygosling, Jan 18, 2011.

1. There is a text book that goes with this course. It has a colour example of each CAT sheet. I dont think they are high scoring examples but they are examples none the less.

Hope this helps :)

2. Do you know the title of this text book, or even better the ISBN...?
    I've been looking around now for ages and haven't found anything...
    Thanks...

3. Phil,
    Recently the WJEC have updated their GCSE D&T site and there is a link to the NGFL website. You'll find on there a variety of PDF's showing exemplars of each page in the CAT.
    Hope this helps. How are you finding it by the way?
    Regards
    Lee
    Link to WJEC D&T: http://www.wjec.co.uk/index.php?subject=14&level=7
    Link to NGFL: http://www.ngfl-cymru.org.uk/vtc/2009-10/vocational/cynnal-resistant-materials/
    The 2011/2012 Design briefs are also out: http://www.wjec.co.uk/index.php?subject=14&level=7&list=docs&docCatID=84

4. <font size="1">I am being pressurised by my line manager to change from AQA to WJEC (RM). I find it difficult to see how having less hours to spend on CA can be helpful or improve grades.</font><font size="1">I also find it very prescriptive and in some way i think it will be limiting our pupils who tend to do very challenging projects. Any feedback would be appreciated.</font>

5. In a roundabout way I've just inspected the WJEC RM ...... interesting. If you want results chose WJEC; if you want high standards then AQA. No comparison .... like comparing the old CSE with GCE.

6. Hi,
    I have moved from a school successfully delivering AQA to a school delivering WJEC Graphic Products & Product Design- I really dislike the sheets, the timings etc and know that colleagues using other exam boards are following a business as usual policy whilst we are sticking rigidly to the hour per sheet instruction. In my opinion the whole concept prevents creativity and real development of projects by the students. The exams are difficult and also difficult to prepare for as there are no text books for WJEC because the board is too small! However I am giving WJEC a fair shot and will reserve judgement until results day but I am considering changing to AQA for GCSE and EDEXCEL for A Level.
    DT Teacher

7. I bumped this thread back up because I'm interested in seeing how departments coped with this CAT. I've had a few hiccups along the way, but noticed that there are some grey areas in the marking guide lines. I'm looking forward to hearing from the WJEC regarding exemplar material for next year.
    Whilst I agree in part with some comments made, I must say that on the whole, I've noticed a substancial increase in the lower achievers. More pupils have had an excellent idea of 'what' and 'how' they will go about making their product. Yes, there are pages that have been a little dry, but hopefully these will be addressed sooner rather than later.

8. Hi, hope you are getting some good work from the students and the WJEC course.
    I would love to see some examples of your folder work but your in Belfast. im in Lancashire.
    Anyone in lancashire or nearby i can visit and see for myself how you are getting on with the course, Basically pick you brains....Please.
    Intrested in the WJEC Graphics/Resistant Materrilas/Product Design GCSE.
    Seems to have got a negative response on the forum due to a lack of freedom im looking to focus lower ability students and give them a frame work and structure to a long piece of work??
    Thanks

9. I am following the WJEC Graphic Products course. I find the specification very broad with such a lot of information to cover. i thought that the paper was more difficult than the previous two years. How did you get on with the CAT? I am in the Merseyide area so not too far away.

10. Apple - lol.
    Anyway, our Textiles teacher uses WJEC for her GCSE and quite likes the rigid format as it ties down the less able. Her more able students find it very restrictive though - luckily (?) she doesn't get many of those.
    I would never use WJEC Electronic products because there isn't one and Systems and Control is too broad and expensive so will stick to AQA and business as usual

11. Hi Phil, just saw this post, i am a teacher in banbridge teaching the same course, if you need anything just shout! think there are very few of us completeing the course over here!