1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WJEC PAPER 2 SECTION B

Discussion in 'English' started by ArthurDent, Feb 27, 2011.

1. I think the layout guidance is a bit odd as well. If it's a letter, it needs setting out correctly, if it's for a magazine or newspaper I advise students to make sure they use sub-headings and if a newspaper, they write a headline in block caps at the top of their work: layout in terms of page is - I think - impossible to do in an exam but alluding to it is a good idea. If it's a magazine, I advise students to draw a little diagram of where pics etc might go and what they might be but it's very much a minor thing. The mark scheme seems to give it no real weight. Sorry, bit of a scrambled reply, I think. Perhaps a WJEC bod in the know might add a reply as well. Any WJEC markers or senior people out there?

2. sunflower48

sunflower48 New commenter

I'm not a marker, but I agree with Arthur. Students need to identify the purpose they are writing, audience they are aiming it at, language they are to use as well as the layout. Layout is shown by identifying, as Arthur said, how to show you are writing a letter - address, date, title. If they are to do an article they need to have a main heading, sub headings, but they would not get marked down if not in columns or has a photograph (as many articles do have) If writing a report that it has a main heading and again sub headings - introduction, proposals, conclusion. The main point is students can distinguish between the different layouts for writing but that they do NOT spend ages doing any graphic work on headings etc.

3. The most important aspect is the quality of their writing (technically and its appropriateness for audience and context). Showing awareness of newspaper conventions with a headline will help, but there is no need to write in columns and drawing pictures is strongly discouraged (no marks for art and very time-consuming). Awareness of layout will be shown by division into paragraphs/sections; candidates may indicate where pictures might go and state that the writing will be in columns but it's by no means vital. Hope this helps.

Hugh Lester, WJEC

4. PS A formal letter will have two addresses, and a more formal beginning and ending (Dear Mr .... , Yours sincerely etc). However, we are not prescriptive about layout; the main difference is that in a formal letter the language will be more ... er ... informal. For formal letters I find that just telling them not to be informal works best; if they make a conscious effort to write formally they sometimes attempt elaborate constructions and vocabulary with poor results.

Hugh Lester, WJEC

5. Thank you for the advice everyone. I feel better now as I was not as far from what is expected as I thought I was.

Thank you again.