1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WJEC News Exam

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by amd26, Jan 3, 2017.

1. amd26

amd26 New commenter

Hello,

I have posted on here many times regarding the Media GCSE exam. I am not a Media Studies teacher, but have been given a year 11 class to get through the course, they had no coursework when I picked them up, so this has been battered from Sept and will be completed by the end of January.

My next battle is to get to grips with the exam for 2017. Does anyone have a breakdown of the exam I could have please? I have looked online for past papers etc but have been unable to find any for the News exam which is leaving me feeling quite panicked as I have no idea of the breakdown of questions, not what is expected in each section.

I have found that Section A is Newspapers and that Section B is Radio News, still none the wiser really.

Thank you very much in advance.

2. InItForTheHolidays

InItForTheHolidays New commenter

The topics for the exam change each year, so looking at past papers on the WJEC website will help you understand the structure of the exam, and style of questions/tasks, but won't be related to the topics.

Section A's topic is newspapers, and is worth 40 marks, split across 4 questions (10 marks each, although these could be subdivided/stepped questions).

Students will receive a printed extract from a newspaper, and the first two questions will be about the form and conventions of the newspaper extract. Students should refer directly to the extract in their answers.

Questions 3 & 4 will be about the newspaper industry, and its audience, and students should not refer to the extract, but should refer to other newspapers that they have studied in their answer.

Section B's topic is radio news, and is also worth 40 marks. This will consist of 5 creative/practical tasks, potentially based on a set scenario. Students may be asked to produce things such as a script, running order, jingle idea, slogan, headlines etc for a radio news programme. The last task is usually a question about the industry, marketing or audience.

I hope that makes helps. I have some resources which i would be happy to share with you. Let me know if you have any further questions.

3. amd26

amd26 New commenter

Thank you so much for the breakdown it has been so helpful.

If you could share resources I would appreciate.

Thanks

4. whitewookie

whitewookie New commenter