1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WJEC Media - MS1 Representation of Bristishness

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by scottpdn06@aol.com, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Any suggestions for suitable texts (film/TV) from the last 5 years that would allow me to explore representations of Britishness?

Thanks,

Scott

2. Any suggestions for suitable texts (film/TV) from the last 5 years that would allow me to explore representations of Britishness?

Thanks,

Scott

3. Theta Sigma

Theta Sigma New commenter

You can go anywhere with that, but This Is England (film) and This Is England '86 (TV) are undoubtedly popular, along with Shameless, to get you into issues of representation and class ideology, including how and why audiences find it all engaging and entertaining. By the same token, the Gypsy Wedding reality series might offer some additional insights. The Royal Wedding lead up and coverage would offer a very 'live' case study, and is just in time for the exam.

4. lizgaskell

lizgaskell New commenter

Not sure if this helps but this month's edition of Media Magazine has an article entitled 'A Very British Doctor Who.' It is interesting. You might be able to get it on their website. I think they are under englishandmediacentre.co.uk.

Liz

5. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

Have you thought about looking at representation of Britishness in American texts? Emily in Friends; Basher in Oceans 11; Oscar in 90210 etc. etc. The students really enjoy looking at how Britishness is represented and it's a good way into stereotypes, as they discuss whether or not these representations are accurate to their own experiences.
    Agree with Liz about Media Magazine - essential subscription IMO
    I hope this helps.

6. manc

manc New commenter

White Teeth by Zadie Smith as a TV series would be a good example.
    Small Island by Andrea Levy the same.
    Both on TV in last 5 years.

7. davidbakes

davidbakes New commenter

Hot Fuzz just sneaks in the time date. Somers Town is also good. Fish Tank is also very good if you want a challenge to hegemony. Attack the Block could be useful too.

8. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

ThereAreBunniesInMyHead Occasional commenter

For a different exam board but similar unit, we do
    Adulthood, Shameless - social realist, negative portrayals of the working classes
    My Family, Downton Abbey - commercial positive portrays of the middle classes
    Attack the Block, Hot Fuzz - mixture of classes involved, both negative and positive portrayals, with americanised storylines of action, special effects etc..
    Only Way is Essex, Made in Chelsea, Geordie Shore - discussing how national identity is no longer clear in many texts and some texts are choosing to focus instead on regional identity