1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WJEC Media GCSE - I'm a Rookie...can you help?

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by princesscorrie, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Hello Eva - is this one of the controlled assessments worth 10%? I don't have the mark scheme in front of me so from memory students have to show an understanding of audience (so how do these representations of women appeal to target audience). Have you done anything on the Uses and Gratifications Theory? Even if mid-low ability they should be OK with this. Maybe also get them to look at whether any stereotypes were used in the representation and the implications of using these stereotypes - ie would it make young girls want to be thin? Keep linking the analysis to how the representation has been constructed - ie Dove Real Women campaign use natural lighting and personalise the models to create the 'real women'. Who produced the adverts (ie the institution)? does this affect how the women are represented?
    I think students do struggle with the concept of representation, my lot certainly did! Good luck! x

2. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Thanks for that!
    We've done some work on stereotypes and they have largely included it. For instance, we've used a L'Oreal advert with Cheryl Cole in it and talked about how the 'Beauty Bunny' stereotype is created with the focus on looks (large picture, smiley girl, gentle facial expression etc). The other advert they've looked at in detail is a sports advert so we've looked at how the woman is presented as being stronger and more independent etc.
    We have had a brief look at gratifications theory etc, but I really don't know very much about it and the class' behaviour is very poor so those lessons didn't exactly go down too well. As a result, there's nothing about that in their essays.