1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WJEC Just GCSE English Help/Advice of Long Term Plans?

Discussion in 'English' started by recliningbuddah, Apr 18, 2012.

1. recliningbuddah

recliningbuddah New commenter

At the moment I've always entered all classes for lang and lit, due to the exams goind linear, from September (for our year 9), this will be limited to top set and second set.
    We will still do the CAs in Year 10, but has anyone got any advice on how you fill a whole year 11 year with exam work? Has anyone got anything that works? Even just a Long Term Plan overview?
    Many thanks,
    RB

2. recliningbuddah

At the moment I've always entered all classes for lang and lit, due to the exams goind linear, from September (for our year 9), this will be limited to top set and second set.
    We will still do the CAs in Year 10, but has anyone got any advice on how you fill a whole year 11 year with exam work? Has anyone got anything that works? Even just a Long Term Plan overview?
    Many thanks,
    RB

3. sunflower48

sunflower48 New commenter

I presume you are meaning that your students would not opt to do the Language and the Literature but just poor English. In that case, as I seem to understand it, you can have two years to do your syllabus and then do the exam at the very end of Year 11. All controlled assessments you can take your time with and ensure that these are done well, although you could have time to resit them once if they were weak. The only trouble would be that you would not have a resit opportunity in Year 11 for the exams. I think if it is Language and Literature, you can do the Language controlled assessment in Year 10 and then cash these in at the end of Year 10, doing the exams at the same time because I think you have to cash them in this time when you do the first examination. In Year 11 focus on the Literature controlled assessments with the exams in this at the end of Year 11. You can resit the Language exams at the end of Year 11, but the controlled assessments have to stay as they were in Year 10, so I these have to be the best they can be. Now if anyone else can see this is glaringly wrong I would appreciate it as this is what we have been told at cluster meetings.

4. Sorry - i'm getting really confused now. Isn't it the case that, with courses beginning September 2012, there can be no examination resits and CAs cannot be cashed in before the end of the course? Everything is submitted at the end?

5. sunflower48

That's what we were told at a cluster meeting and I was confused as well. I think that they aim it to be a two year course, but I think you can do in one year, which will be hard work, and therefore there is a resit opportunity in Year 11. However, Controlled assessments are cashed in in Year 10. Maybe someone else can explain it for us because just as we have got used to the new syllabus for the past two years, they go and change it and confuse us again!!!

6. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

Stop!
    There's no reason to change your entry policy.
    I presume you entered everyone for both GCSEs when they were linear before (like, last year), so why not continue doing so when they go linear again?
    Your post already implies that you're not going to have enough to do. The solution: carry on doing English Literature!
    timetotravel and sunflower48 - the courses will go linear, but the end of the course does not have to be at the end of Year 11. Therefore, students could sit one of the GCSEs at the end of Year 10. English Language (and single English) will also have a November sitting.
    Furthermore, controlled assessment marks can be carried forward from one sitting to another.
    Therefore, your current Year 9s could do English Language in the November of Year 11, followed by English Literature at the end of Year 11. If need be, they could also re-sit English Language at the end of Year 11. You could even do one of the GCSEs at the end of Year 10 if you like (allowing for three attempts at the exams, if you so desire).
    There's loads of possibilites.
    The only certainty is that the return to linear specs is no reason to drop English Lit - for anybody!

7. sunflower48

Sorry no, I was not saying that I would not have enough to do but just explaining what I had been told. I have been told that controlled assessment marks CAN NOT be carried over from one sitting of an exam to a resit, if that is what you are saying. Surely that is exactly what we are doing now and that is what they don't want. Yes I know that they could sit in November of Y11 but you have to cash in the controlled assessments at this time, however, you can sit the exams ONE more time but CAs stay at the same mark.
    I have no intention of dropping Literature, it was the other poster who considered this.

8. CandysDog

All my references to not having enough to do or dropping English Lit were in response to the original poster (recliningbuddah), not you, sunflower48. The only bit directly aimed at you was the paragraph with your name next to it (as you said you were confused). Sorry if that wasn't clear.
    Not quite. What we are doing now, under the modular system, is entering exams and controlled assessment separately. It's the constant re-sitting of modular exams that the government is trying to get rid of.
    Yes, this is basically how I understand it. I hadn't heard that CA could only be carried forward once (you could do it multiple times when they were last linear). Of course, because they are re-sitting the entire GCSE, they could also submit new CA.

9. " I presume you entered everyone for both GCSEs when they were linear
    before (like, last year), so why not continue doing so when they go
    linear again?"
    We did but now there's an additional novel to do for the exam and less time to prepare because we are having to do controlled assessments rather than coursework. This is why we are switching to IGCSEs.

10. recliningbuddah

Now I'm totally confused! My understanding is that for the current year 9, ALL exams are going linear - Year 11 can only sit ALL of their English Language exams and ALL of their Unit 1 and Unit 2 Lit exams in the June of their Year 11. They will NOT have the opportunity to try it once in the November of Year 11 - this 're-sit' November option is only available for colleges. (This is why I'm considering dropping Lit, so they don't need to memorize key quotes fom 3 texts PLUS have the English exam to worry about!) My understanding is that Gove doesn't want pupils to be able to have a 'double chance' at exams.

11. CandysDog

You are correct that GCSEs are going linear, but the GCSEs do not have to all be taken at the end of Year 11. Linear just means that all the assessment is taken at the end of the course. The end of the course does not have to be the end of Year 11. It could be an earlier exam series (such as the end of Year 10 or one of the November series).
    If students do take the GCSE early, they will be allowed to re-sit it. Furthermore, they may carry forward controlled assessment marks to a re-sit.
    (With Year 9, it is a little more complicated, as the courses go linear while they are in KS4. Both exam series when they are in Year 10 (January 2013 and Summer 2013) will be modular, as will the new November series when they are in Year 11 (November 2013). It is only from Summer 2014 that everything is completely linear. Therefore, your Year 9s could do the course in an at least partially modular way, so long as they cash everything in at the November 2013 series. Year 8 are the first completely linear cohort.)
    This timeline from Ofqual is useful for showing how the changes will be phased in.
    The November series will be open to anyone. First time entries and re-sits will be allowed. In November 2013, the series will be modular (though you can make it linear by simply entering everything). From November 2014 onwards, the series will be linear. English Lit will not be available in November, only English Language and English.
    Well, stop considering dropping it [​IMG] It appears your solution will be to 'split' the GCSE by doing one in Year 10 and one in Year 11 (or use the November series and keep everything in Year 11).
    Gove has stopped multiple goes at exams, but he hasn't stopped multiple goes at GCSEs. There's also nothing in place to stop early entry.