1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WJEC IT2 templates and Word 2007

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by shenn, Jul 29, 2011.

1. shenn

shenn New commenter

We have switched to Office 2007 and I am having problems getting the students to be able to save a Word template and then re-use it

We can save the template but when we go to file - new we cannot find the saved template to choose
    Anyone have a solution?

Thanks

2. A simple solution would be:
    1 mark for showing saving as a document template (with merge fields showing in background).
    1 mark for creating a 2nd letter, just type over the main content from the original letter (with the merge fields already inserted) and then remerge and print out.
    This way there is no need to worry about where the template document has saved.

3. shenn

shenn New commenter

The mark scheme says " Reuse of mailmerge template for another purpose" so I am not sure just changing the original letter will suffice?
    <font face="Times New Roman"></font>
    <font face="Times New Roman">Also on one of the stadardising meetings the isseu regarding not being able to customise icons in Word 2007 was mentioned, do you remember what was said?</font>
    <font face="Times New Roman"></font>
    <font face="Times New Roman">Cheers</font>

4. Hi
    Did you save the template in the default template folder?
    By default when you save as template Word dumps it in the user's documents folder, but that won't work. Clever Microsoft.
    For example, on a standalone PC, the template directory is as follows:
    C:\Users\ user name \AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates if you have Vista or Windows 7,
    or
    C:\Documents and Settings\ user name \Application Data\Microsoft\Templates in XP.
    I assume that you have a mapped network drive for the students. At our place that is N:
    Inside their folder you will find a settings directory, inside that you will eventually find this template folder.
    It will most likely be empty.
    Get Word to save the document as a template in there instead (Save As and browse to the folder). Then, when you do File ... New and select My Templates, it will appear in the window.
    Simples

5. The mark is for reusing the template of the letter, which is just the layout with different main body text. You can have the reuse mark even if you don't get the saving as document template mark.

The customising buttons on the toolbar mark can be got by selecting one of the icons that are preloaded in Office 2007, though I personally would hope that the pupil also shows the text next to the icon showing a sensible name being used. This would be evidence of customisation as the button isn't already on the toolbar.

6. shenn

shenn New commenter

Thanks for the help I will go into school next week and try them out

7. You can set the user's templates folder to any folder you like. It's probably easiest to make a folder called 'templates' inside their networked drive then click on the Office Button and then click on Word Options. Look under the Advanced settings for a button marked File Locations, when you click this you can set the User templates item to the folder you have created. Now when you click on Save As and save the document as a Word Template in the folder you have set, the template should be displayed when you click on New and then click on 'My templates'.
    www.allaboutitq.co