1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WJEC It1 Marking

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Tosha, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

I asked for three random papers back, marking was terrible and didn't reflect candidates abilities and answers. Marker seemed to follow mark scheme to the word, though was not capable of adding up the marks correctly on one paper.

I have major concerns over the marking of this paper

2. ccroyle

ccroyle New commenter

Yep - got the same problem here, papers are arriving back and might as well have been marked by a machine. This board really does have serious problems, not only with markers, but also with the AS syllabus on the whole. There is so much waffle that I don't even think the Chief Examiner understands it, therefore has problems passing it on to the markers. Somebody get a grip for God's sake.

3. I've got the same. I've got two students with virtually identical answers - 1 got 3 marks the other got 1! My students were devastated when they saw their papers.

4. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

At least you could teach students how to answer AQA questions, all is forgiven AQA.

5. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

Even if students did not answer the questions in the right order they lost marks, I really thin there must be some sort of investigation. Can that happen?

6. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

When I say the right order, they gave an advantage first and a definition after that.

7. Ok this is about IT1 first IT3

Happy that the examiners marked within the mark schene. BUT have problems with the mark scheme.. if in the definition quesiton candidates had clear understanding but did not use wrote learnt responses for exmaple ftp my candidaites talked about the use across a network = no marks as mark scheme says internet (wtonf ftp cna and is used on mac without the need for an external internet connection). url was looking for simple you type it in. well too low level for most A level kids...I will stop making them understand and teach them no direct them to learn wrote answers.

Now IT1 5 scripts back waiting for the rest (I want them all as the kids need to reflect on their own) and the issue for me is not the larking but the actual paper as a whole. some fault lies with me for teaching rsther than telling them what to learn for once. But Section B has been marked to the enth degree.. I will advise students to write What where why and be generally condescending as as far as I can see there is not much wrong with their responses.... I will not get them to create their own spreadsheet I will give them one and get them to wrote learn repsonses...
    not sure this is a wjec issue though... time to switch to actual IT courses practical/computing and dump ict as it no longer serves any purpose.

8. I agree with the comments about the marking of section B - it is awful. My students covered everything, and wrote what, where and why but did not get marks!

9. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

The mark scheme had some very strange answers.

For good quality information under well targeted information it stated that you should ask questions to the right people. ???

10. kathley

kathley New commenter

Agree with the underlined above - we now realise the only way to get marks on this paper is to <strike>teach</strike> tell the kids what might be on the exam and practise answering them. This board has now made the AS syllabus so large and incoherent that teaching the syllabus has now gone out of the window as we don't have time for a January exam.
    Also agree with marking for section B - disgraceful.
    I used to enjoy teaching ICT but whilst we are with this board I can forget that!

11. compoit

compoit New commenter

Just about to start a thread and found Tosha beat me too it. Just got some papers back and, in particular, the marking of section B spreadsheet is disgraceful. Students have given the WHERE, WHAT and WHY from the lists as asked and received no marks. Who the hell is this board using for marking? Really got to start looking around now, cannot let this happen again. We put them in for the January exam for the first time this year as we didn't dare leave it until May/June, I only hope when they resit on the 7th June that the board have found themselves a set of new markers!

12. This kind of discussion has been going on for years and I feel it will never resolve itself. You can jump from one examboard to the next and still find the same issues. Given the scale of operations, the poor pay and silly deadlines it is inevitable that mistakes happen.
    If you apply the marking scheme to rigidly then you get issues with students giving valid answers but not being given credit but on the plus side you get consistency of marking. Alternatively, you could do banding which provides flexibility for examiners to applly their professional judgement. The problem here is that there aren't enough experienced/ knowledgable examiners to go around.and so the margin of error increases significantly.
    So, what are the solutions? This is the ultimate question to which I am not sure there is answer.
    The dangers are that students are dropping this subject in their 1000s. The numbers year on year continue to go down and down to the point whether you ask yourself the question - will this subject be around in 5/10 years time?
    You also have to question the validity and content of the theory being taught - to be honest a lot is common sense and over the years seems to change from one type of answer to the next (depending on principle examiner).
    There is a study going on at the moment by the Royal Society of Computing into the effectiveness of the teaching and assessment of the subject. It might be worth a read:

http://royalsociety.org/Education-Policy/Projects/

13. Surely you all need to get your Exams Officers or Headteachers to write directly to the WJEC expressing your concerns. That is what we did with the Applied ICT course. My Line Manager has sent several letters expressing his concern.
    GJE

14. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

I have never seen marking so bad. My opinion is that because their coursework is so easy to score highly on, they mark the exams dowmn to keep their grade distrubution.
    This is makes the qualification a poor choice for bright kids, that understand the topics but express themselves differently from the mark scheme. I think the grade distrubution on the it1 is very narrow.