1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WJEC Higher or foundation?

Discussion in 'English' started by coolpinkbarbie, Feb 1, 2016.

1. coolpinkbarbie

coolpinkbarbie New commenter

Hi All

I am a HOD and the school I now work in use WJEC for English language. I am just looking at entries and am concerned I don't know the papers well enough to make a decision for our C/D borderline students as to whether they should sit higher or foundation. I am confident to make this call on AQA or Cambridge IGCSE but not on WJEC.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks

2. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

Hi,

I'm assistant subject leader so ultimately, I don't have the final say on entries...
    I currently teach set 5 of 6.

I've got some students who are capable for HT entry the reading paper. We suggest to students that on a HT reading paper they should aim for 6+ points per question to achieve a 'C'. 20-22/40(ish) could be a C on HT. The texts are obviously more difficult to understand.
    In comparison, we suggest 8+ marks per question on a FT reading paper. 30-32/40 on FT for a C. I personally will be submitting all of my class for FT on Unit 2(writing paper).
    Copious amounts of mock and in class data inform these decisions as I'm sure is the case with you too!

In terms of the Unit 3 (C.A's) we aim for a minimum of 13/20 per piece which previous years would suggest are a top C.

It's a real gamble with some students but my HoD is trusting in what we believe the capabilities the students have. In terms of results, the mixed tier entries worked out in the favour of students and theyachieved their C.

Clear as mud?!
    Hope that helps!