1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WJEC GSCE Media Studies....have I been fibbed to?

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by fantastischfish, Nov 30, 2011.

1. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I started at a new school in September, teaching Media Studies for the first time, to a group of students who were basically forced to take it in a last-ditch attempt to get a grade out of them.
    As a beginner in this, I was led to believe that I was teaching coursework; agenre study on Science Fiction. I have taught it and assessed it as coursework: drafts, teacher input during the writing process etc. But now I've got a pile of 'first drafts' (carefully edited along the way by me of course as per coursework) and I've printed off the mark scheme from the spec to find that it says, clearly, 'Controlled Assessment' across the top.
    The materials I was given by my school do not say Controlled Assessment. Are they trying to be naughty here?

2. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Hi Eva
    I do AQA but it is still CA just 'low' control.
    Copied this from the AQA spec- hope it comes out ok- bit of trouble with layout!
    <font face="HelveticaNeueLTStd-Lt" size="2">Research may be undertaken with limited supervision. Candidates need not be under the direct supervision

of staff at all times.However candidates are required to complete all of the work
    </font><font face="HelveticaNeueLTStd-Bd" size="2">other than research</font>
    <font face="HelveticaNeueLTStd-Bd" size="2">
    </font>
    <font face="HelveticaNeueLTStd-Lt" size="2">under informal supervision. This means that the
    centre must ensure that:
    </font>
    <font face="HelveticaNeueLTStd-Lt" size="2">
    </font>

<font face="HelveticaNeueLTStd-Lt" size="2">
    </font><font face="HelveticaNeueLTStd-Lt" size="2"> </font>

<font face="HelveticaNeueLTStd-Lt" size="2">production of the work is his/her own
    Hope this helps Eva but i would check the WJEC spec.
    Liz
    </font>