1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WJEC GCSE Sociology

Discussion in 'Social sciences' started by melanissa, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Hi all
    I'm starting a new post in Sep where I'll be leading Psychology and Sociology, and whilst my degree is in both I have only taught Psych at present.... I've chosen WJEC as a board, because the A Level spec in place is AQA (which I cannot change) so I wanted a course that would give some different topics to AQA A level should students choose to continue it - I know the emphasis and focus is slightly different but didn't want it to completely mirror the topics.
    I am wondering, because I've never taught for an exam where there are optional questions, whether choosing 2 topics out of the 4 for each paper is sufficient, or whether 3 would be better? My feeling is that 2 allows choice still but allows teaching to be in depth so as to allow them to be well prepared. Also then we can deliver 2 options that will flow onto the A level spec, but 2 different ones to keep the interest level, as then 2 of the A Level ones will be completely new to them.
    Does this sound about right for those of you better experienced than me?!
    Any advice/comments greatly appreciated!
    Thanks
    Mel

2. Hi all
    I'm starting a new post in Sep where I'll be leading Psychology and Sociology, and whilst my degree is in both I have only taught Psych at present.... I've chosen WJEC as a board, because the A Level spec in place is AQA (which I cannot change) so I wanted a course that would give some different topics to AQA A level should students choose to continue it - I know the emphasis and focus is slightly different but didn't want it to completely mirror the topics.
    I am wondering, because I've never taught for an exam where there are optional questions, whether choosing 2 topics out of the 4 for each paper is sufficient, or whether 3 would be better? My feeling is that 2 allows choice still but allows teaching to be in depth so as to allow them to be well prepared. Also then we can deliver 2 options that will flow onto the A level spec, but 2 different ones to keep the interest level, as then 2 of the A Level ones will be completely new to them.
    Does this sound about right for those of you better experienced than me?!
    Any advice/comments greatly appreciated!
    Thanks
    Mel

3. Hi,

I have taught GCSE Sociology for a while now and I have found that it is better to teach at least 3 of the topics and not just 2. I normally teach 4 with Higher Ability groups or 3 with the not so-high.

I would suggest using AQA GCSE as some A-Levels will only accept students with their GCSE on their exam board.

Hope this helps!

4. JodiP

JodiP New commenter

I teach WJEC and teach 2 of the topics on each paper - I find that is sufficient.

5. Thanks both for your replies - maybe I'll consider 3 for any higher ability then, good to know 2 would also be fine though! I was toying with AQA for GCSE but am worried it may lead to some boredom for those that carry it on as there is no difference in the topics studied apart from the one on beliefs. Now to decide on which topics and find the best textbook and I can properly plan the schemes!
    Jodi do you have any recommendations for a textbook? I've heard Blundell is good but looking into one or two others as well. Annoyingly, I'd like to teach the sport option which doesn't appear to be in any, oh well!
    Mel

6. Hi Mel,

This link takes you to Amazon which have some good ones.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=gcse+sociology+book&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=6173200794&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1559177701975638012&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_76f1qvbc59_b

There are some which have all the info and aren't aimed at exam boards which could be good :)

James

7. JodiP

JodiP New commenter

I use AQA Nelson Thornes (blue book) which is not that good and AQA Collins (White book) and that is much better. Blundell is also good.
    I also have one of lots of other text books including A'Level as they have lots of good information and tasks in - I then combine them to make a pp.
    We can share resources if you like?

8. Hello, I am currently beginning to teach a GCSE Sociology class and I am happy with the course outlines and lesson plans. I was wondering when the Sociology papers marked by AQA is the whole paper marked by one examiner for the whole paper or is it different examiners that mark various different questions from the exam paper. (AQA Sociology)

9. blt

blt New commenter

I think that these are now marked online so it would be different examiners seeing the paper. I don't examine this any more though so if there is anyone out there who currently examines they may say otherwise.

The A-level is marked by one person at present - i.e. they have the 'hard copy' of the paper in front of them.

Like all exam boards, everything is pretty much moving to online as this does help to cut down on marker problems. I think that papers with shorter questions - like most GCSEs - are straightforward to shift to the online system.

Hope this helps

10. Thank-you for clarifying this it was a student who originally asked me and I didnt know. So many examiners now will see a single examination now, because I remember when I use to mark they where hard copies like the A-Level papers because I think pupils do get marked harsher if more than one examiner marks a paper.

11. Hi. I mark GCSE Sociology AQA and, at the moment, each paper (they sit two) is marked by a separate examiner but yes, one examiner marks a whole paper.

12. Thanks Debi. I know this is a very wierd and unsual question but after students sit an exam how long are the exam papers and coursework kept after the examinations. Thanks.

13. Hi all,

I'm about to sit the Year 10 and 11 GCSE (WJEC Spec) Sociology exams. I'm a teacher and have taught myself the compulsory core sections but I can't seem to find much information on the essay sections. Would any of you have any advise on how to structure, plan and write the essays.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Trying to show the kids you can still do well when you're not a student!!

Thanks!