1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WJEC GCSE results

Discussion in 'English' started by dlsilver, Mar 8, 2012.

1. If this was his first attempt at this unit he will be able to resit it in May.

2. But what do I do to help him prepare for the resit? Isn't he likley to fall into the same trap again? It seems rediculous that I might have to tell him to dumb down his answers.

3. recliningbuddah

recliningbuddah New commenter

Could I just mention (sorry to fuel your fire) but your son cannot be guaranteed that his Controlled Assessments and S&L marks are an 'a' because the exam boards will not give us these grade boundaries until August! We can have a rough guess...but we have been warned that the boundaries may 'shift slightly'!! This is the same across ALL exam boards - thank Gove and the new exam structure - but then, at least your son gets 2 shots at it - for the current year 9 that benefit will go (thank Gove again!) RB

4. Facetious

Facetious New commenter

It's at times like these I wish there were a 'like' button to press. Anyway, seeing as I needed to comment to express my liking of the above post, I might as well stick my oar in too. Our reading marks were wonderful, our writing ones abysmal. We too had A grade kids achieving Cs and Ds, while E and F kids got Cs. What's that all about?

5. All makes for interesting reading... Anybody have much experience of remarks from WJEC? And, if we instead call for papers to be returned and the marking seems dodgy, can we get those same papers remarked still?

6. recliningbuddah

Hi spoke to them on Friday you have to pay for a remark (I think it was £28) and an extra £12 per script for a copy of it. If you just pay for a copy they will not remark it!
    We will be getting copies of some at the C grade on the boundary as well as those just under to see the difference between a raw mark of 25 and 26 (Ds) and a 27 marked at a C.
    Last year, on the old spec, we had 2 candidates moved from a D to a C - one candidate gained an extra 9 marks over paper 1 and 2 on the remark!
    Hope this helps!

7. 9 marks?! It doesn't give you much confidence in the marking of the paper, does it!

8. recliningbuddah

No which is why I'm seriously contemplating AQA at least all their scripts are marked by at least 2 examiners...makes you think doesn't it?

9. So we could pay to see a paper that's clearly badly marked but be stuck with the incorrect mark... Crazy!

10. Can I just check I'm reading this correctly?
    You can pay for a paper remarking, without seeing it & having no idea whether it has been incorrectly marked or not?
    Or you pay for a copy of the paper, find that it has been woefully marked but can not then get it remarked?
    I can feel a real rant coming on. Anybody have Gove's email address?

11. recliningbuddah

That's correct! I can understand if they were sending you the ORIGINAL and they were worried that you'd tampered with it!! - but they don't - they send you a photocopy! I can honestly say though that if I recalled a script and it had been woefully marked, the ensuing letter would be rapid and I'm sure my Head would be on to the CEO quicker than Gove can come up with another wonderful idea to put pupils' futures in jeopardy! Of course, that wouldn't alter the life of the poor student who'll be re-sitting the exam at college when he shold be sat with a GCSE C grade. The world has gone mad!

12. We have had a very similar experience. Unit 2 is especially low with students gaining 2 grades lower in some cases that in unit 1! Very puzzling since traditionally, it seems to be the easier paper to score on!

13. manc

manc New commenter

Very puzzling, I agree. But in another way, judging from all these posts, not very puzzling at all. I've avoided playing the National Lottery personally, but I didn't expect to be entering my pupils for it.

14. Am I correct in thinking that students have to resit both language units or can they just resit reading or writing?

15. They can resit just one unit or both... That was one of the things I really liked about the WJEC spec...

16. Thanks - that is good news!

17. manc

manc New commenter

It's only good news if you then get a fair marker.

18. sunflower48

sunflower48 New commenter

Does anyone on here mark for WJEC? I just wondered if you got an insight into their exam mark scheme. There controlled assessment mark criteria are so vague.

19. sunflower48

sunflower48 New commenter

Oh apologies for the glaring error! THEIR controlled assessment mark criteria ...