1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WJEC GCSE ICT cheating - why am I not suprised?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by freddd, Dec 21, 2011.

1. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-16273366
    Anyone who knows anyrthing about WJEC knows that this has been going on for years. What is surprising is that they haven't turned their attention to the WJEC A Level and the AQA GCSE controlled tasks yet. If they did, they would find more dodgy practices than the whole of the House of Lords and Commons put together.

2. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-16273366
    Anyone who knows anyrthing about WJEC knows that this has been going on for years. What is surprising is that they haven't turned their attention to the WJEC A Level and the AQA GCSE controlled tasks yet. If they did, they would find more dodgy practices than the whole of the House of Lords and Commons put together.

3. Khashoggi

Khashoggi New commenter

I must be going to tHe wrong meetings then, because in 5 years, I've never witnesses anything dodgy at the A Level ICT meetings.

4. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

... or anything of any use.
    They did have a presentation by a salesman on the last gcse meeting tho.
    And they continue with **** questions 'cos the offical book is wrong.

5. WJEC is the easiest A Level ICT going out of what is on offer. We all know that. How come it is easier than the other ones, I wonder?

6. I have been attending WJEC GCSE ICT and A Level Computing INSETs for fifteen years. I have attended GCE ICT INSETs every year the course has been running (except the very first year).
    I have never heard any WJEC examiner/moderator say anything inappopriate or unprofessional.
    I've always found them to be professional and to behave with the utmost integrity. I'm very surprised to read of the issue with the GCSE Unit 3 paper and assume it must be a very small issue - perhaps something was clarified in one of the meetings that isn't specified in the Teachers' Guide. I can't imagine it could be anything more serious than that.

Am I happy with everything? No. I don't like the picky marking of the AS ICT exam. I'm not happy with the markschemes for the database questions in the A2 ICT exam. I'd like to see more challenging coursework for AS ICT.
    I'm very happy with everything else. The new GCSE seems good. the examiner is sensible, friendly and has common sense. The moderator is sensible, friendly and has common sense. I don't have any issue with GCE Computing. I think the WJEC ICT and Computing chief moderators and chief examiners are professional, act with integrity , are well intentioned nice people and work hard.
    I sincerely hope that any investigation into the ICT chief examiner for GCSE is handled sensibly and sensitively. I hope WJEC resist the urge to jump on the band wagon of Telegraph and Gove tub thumping.

7. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

The more I think about it the more I think the telegraph is in the hands of the tory party.

8. Someone told me that Michael Gove's wife is/was one of the Telegraph's editors.

9. I have to agree. Working closely with people who both teach WJEC ICT and attend the INSETs, they come back frustrated with the lack of guidance rather than too much help. My view is that the coursework is the easy part, the exam is stupidly picky.

As for WJEC Computing, I'm happy with it. Exam is slightly more straight forward than ICT. Coursework is definitely more rigorous.

10. You should have some ICT lessons;) 10 seconds of Internet research shows she is beauty editor for the Times

11. Is this really a revelation to you?

They call it the Torygraph.