1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WJEC GCSE Drama DR2

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by Honeychile74, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Honeychile74

Honeychile74 New commenter

I am currently trying to find suitable scripts for my Yr 11 Drama group in preparation for their DR2 assessment. I am an NQT and sole Drama teacher, so this is all quite new to me (my first subject is English). Anyway, the WJEC suggestions seem a bit difficult for some of my pupils and I have been looking online, but I'm not really sure how to go about buying scripts/downloading them etc. We are very limited with the scripts we have in school and I want something that my pupils can understand. Money is also v tight at our school, so price cannot be too expensive. Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions? Lazybee scripts look good to me, but has anyone used any of their scripts in an exam successfully?

2. Scripts written for GCSE exam available here.
    Pay > download. Two minute process, price amazingly low.

3. Honeychile74

Thanks for that. Are these plays suitable for the WJEC board? My Yr 11s need to perform a scene from a published play for their second assessment. Am finding it so hard finding suitable scripts for their groupings. Should I change the groups to suit a wider variety of scripts? Will need to find out how much money is left in the Drama budget before I can order anything from your website. You've got loads of great stuff on there though. Your help and advice is much appreciated too.

4. I'm also doing the WJEC DR2 at the moment. What sized groups have you got? I use a lot of Godber for less strong students (Teechers, Bouncers, Up 'n' Under and shakers usually go down well) - obviously find the suitable sections. There are excellent duologues from Jim Cartwrights 'Two' ... If you let me know what group sizes you are wanting I might be able to help further. H

5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

The WJEC run their INSET in auttumn term.... very worthwhile attending so do get on next year. They also provide a comprehensive list of advised plays and extracts as suggestions for DR2. The works do *have* to be by an established published playwright and groups of no more than 5 - though recommendation is that groups be smaller than this. Look on amazon for second have copies of plays from which you can use extracts.

Do ring Elaine Carlise at the board who will be helpful and offer further advice.

6. Please remember that "published" means anything available to the public, not just scripts sold in book form in shops.
    So, this includes downloadable scripts from websites.
    Clive
    www.resources4drama.co.uk

7. Honeychile74

Thanks for that DaisysLot.I did attend an INSET course in November and found it very informative and helpful. It's just that the DR2 suggestions seem a bit difficult for most of my Year 11s. I've also spoken to Elaine several times and she is very helpful. I'm so grateful that the TES community is here to help out new teachers like me who are finding thing a bit tough. My Year 11s are what you would call a 'challenging' group.They have erratic attendance, and when they do attend they won't work. They have their DR1 exam next week (late I know, but there are v good and tragic reasons for this). And last week only half of the class turned up. Some of the excuses to the rest of their group via text were 'Can't come in to school,I'm getting ready to go out tonight'. Or 'I'm just not feeling up to it today'. Not sure whether that was school or Drama, but this is what I am dealing with. There have been interventions from the HOY and Head, but the pupils still don't seem to care.

And I am worrying and stressing myself out trying to find suitable plays for their DR2, when I'm not even sure how many will turn up for their DR1. And I am the sole teacher in the Drama department! What can I do???

8. Honeychile74

Thanks for that DaisysLot.I did attend an INSET course in November and found it very informative and helpful. It's just that the DR2 suggestions seem a bit difficult for most of my Year 11s. I've also spoken to Elaine several times and she is very helpful. I'm so grateful that the TES community is here to help out new teachers like me who are finding thing a bit tough. My Year 11s are what you would call a 'challenging' group.They have erratic attendance, and when they do attend they won't work. They have their DR1 exam next week (late I know, but there are v good and tragic reasons for this). And last week only half of the class turned up. Some of the excuses to the rest of their group via text were 'Can't come in to school,I'm getting ready to go out tonight'. Or 'I'm just not feeling up to it today'. Not sure whether that was school or Drama, but this is what I am dealing with. There have been interventions from the HOY and Head, but the pupils still don't seem to care.

And I am worrying and stressing myself out trying to find suitable plays for their DR2, when I'm not even sure how many will turn up for their DR1. And I am the sole teacher in the Drama department! What can I do???

9. Honeychile74

Thanks, that book looks fab. Will be ordering it today.

10. Have a look at my website - www.davidhughesdrama.co.uk

My second book of one act plays (for girls) is due for publication in a matter of weeks.