1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WJEC GCSE Catering & Chef Whites ...

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by jennyjones632, Jun 11, 2011.

1. jennyjones632

jennyjones632 New commenter

Hurrah, my dream at half term came true - we will be doing GCSE in Catering!
    But has anyone bought chef whites especially - or actually any advice.
    Thanks,

2. Out of interest how long will your lesssons be? My friend at another school asked for double lessons and said the course should only run if this the case, but was not given them! Result - disaster and even parents writting in etc. I wonder are there othere schoools trying to do the course on one hour lessons only?

3. finamar

finamar New commenter

We did buy whites which has a positive effect on the students- looking just like the students they see when they visit the local college.

The course is so much better for our students, they enjoy it so much more than D & T food.

We have three hours a week which are all singles.

4. The chefs whites are good from Nisbetts, quite cheap and good quality. The kids get excited with them initially, but I found that they lost interest and eventually stopped bringing them. The kids can also get quite warm in the classroom with them on. I just go for thier own white/butchers apron now.
    The course is easily do-able in 1 hour lessons. It can be a bit more of a challenge in terms of prac, but I would guess that most schools that run GCSE Catering only have 1 hour lessons. I tend to organise my practical sessions when my Ctaering class have a lesson before or after break/lunch so there is a bit of extra time available.
    Good luck

5. Russums do a package for students and will personalise them too. Good quality. I also run a second hand shop for uniform.

6. Yes, we get ours from Nisbets but it has been long winded this year as we also get them embroidered. Some always wear them, others find it extra to bring in and only wear them for competitions and coursework. But if they wear their school shirt underneath they get too hot. We don't have changing rooms for them unfortunately. They don't want to wear hats but I know they have to in a neighbouring school. We don't insist they buy whites but some schools do.

7. We only have 1hr lessons! & it just about works!(we use breaks & lunchtimes too)- good pass rates :)

8. I have a double (1hr 40 mins) and single (50mins) each week. I have a class set of chefs whites waist aprons and caps from Russoms and students have an opportunity to buy their own. They do look very professional! I would love some help from anyone out there doing the course and willing to share resources and sow.

9. I've jsu had a quote from a company called Denny's. £7 for a white short sleeved top

S :)

10. Hi,
    I am a bit late on this forum but willing to be collected. I am going to start the Single award catering GGCSE the Sept. I am adapting a scheme of work I found on TES that was for the dual award and using the suggested scheme of work from WJEC website.
    Its proving very hard work and I am quite nervous.
    Sally

11. I am thinking of doing the catering GCSE how have you found it? I am in a school that dropped GCSE Food Tech a few yesr ago. In my previous cschool I taught GCSe Food Technology and had very good results. However I am told that the students at my new school would struggle with GCSE Food Technology and should consider Catering. Is the course work and exam easier than Food Technology?

12. Hi,

I too am considering dropping AQA food tech to move to WJEC GCSE Catering and would be interested to hear from anyone who has already changed - what differences have you experienced and has it made life easier etc?!
    I have been teaching for 4 years and have only ever known food tech so the prospect of changing and introducing something new is a bit daunting.

Hellybells :)