1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WJEC Food Technology

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by lesleyWestwood, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Hi All Foodies

I have been following the WJEC Hospitality and Catering GCSE now for 4 years and i am just getting to grips with the new controlled assessments and WHAM new timetable comes out (no consultation) and all my year ten lessons are singles so delivering any quality practical work of more than 45 mins in length is impossible!!!!! I have therefore decided to go back to the Food Tech which will be more achievable although no way ideal.

So fellow foodies - what has been happening in the food tech world in the last 4 years

- what text book would you recommend?

- any handy short projects?

any help greatly received

Lesley

2. Out of interest- why Food Tech and why not Home Economics-Food and Nutrition?
    We are doing OCR Food Tech and whilst it is fineI am considering changing to WJEC Home economics /food and nutrition because it appears to be more actual cooking as opposed to designing+ sustainable issues.

3. Why not go for GCSE Hospitality? They don't cook so much but plan events.
    I couldn't go back to Food Tech again. I got fed up explaining to students why they couldn't make something different every lesson for their coursework!

4. We changed to OCR food & nutrition - much more relevant to the students - wouldn't go back to food technology, fits in with what they are also learning in science & GCSE PE.

5. I am more familiar with Food Tech as I have not taught Home economics in 23 years but I am considering that option but cannot see what the assignments actually are and I am afraid they are long cooking sessions again as they used to be in the olden days.... do you know what they have been this year?