1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WJEC Film Studies Section C horror genre

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by chloebellecat, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,
    My head of department wants us to teach the horror genre for section C of the WJEC syllabus next year, looking at Halloween and Scream as these were identified in the WJEC feedback as good case studies that worked well. I'm happy with that, but am stuck on teaching all the contextual content - any ideas of what context issues are relevant? Thankyou

2. Consider the implication of:

celebrity/ intertextuality
    'the other'
    What fears society has (original Halloween and more recent)
    Also look at films released around this time and any trends

Does that help to start with?

3. It would also be a good idea to look at 'Shaun of the Dead' for intertextuality - it picks up lots of horror generic conventions/ cliches.

I used this: http://film.edusites.co.uk/category/c/horror/

I agree with above - fears of society, look at national/ international events/ fears, audience appeals and intertextuality. It might also be worthwhile looking at the implication of technology (VHS, cinema, internet and DVDs impact on the genre) and the production companies behind the films.

Hope that helps!