1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wjec English lit

Discussion in 'English' started by Megan_96, May 19, 2012.

1. I'm doing the exam on Tuesday to kill a mockingbird and poetry and lord of the flies and a view from the bridge on Thursday and our school has never used this exam board for English before. I have only just found out we aren't allowed the books in the exam so now I'm even more scared. Does anyone have 5 key quotes that I could maybe use for any essay question and also how do I make sure I don't go over the 2O and 40 minutes and how do I recognise mood and atmosphere in an extract I think I'm most scared of not getting the mod of the extract and messing up the poems sorry for all the questions
    Thanks.

2. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

Because you're not allowed to take the books into the exam, you are allowed to use 'close reference to the text' instead of quotations. For example, you could prove that Scout has a short temper by referring to when she beats up Walter Cunningham Jr. It's perfectly possible to get full marks just by using close reference to the text. Just make sure all your references are really specific and related to specific events, conversations etc.
    You can, of course, also use any quotations that you have remembered and there are loads of lists on the Internet. It also doesn't matter if a quotation you use is not word-for-word, as they are testing your analysis, not your memory.
    In the extract and poetry questions, you will be expected to use quotations, as you have the text in front of you.
    You just have to time yourself well. Use the clock in the exam hall. You could try writing an extract question in 20 minutes this weekend so you know how much you can write. Presumably, you've already done stuff like this in class.
    Just track through the extract. Start by saying what the overall mood/atmosphere is and then track through using quotations and showing the how the writer creates it. Try to avoid repeating yourself (don't keep saying it is scary, for example: look for little differences: one bit may be tense, one eerie etc.). If you can find a major change in the mood or atmosphere, really highlight it.
    Remember that not all extract questions are on mood or atmospher, of course.
    Just use the bullet points. The easiest way is to go through the bullet points for the first poem, then go through them again for the second and then compare. Alternatively, you can compare them as you're going along. Do whichever feels the most comfortable to you (no method is better than another). Make sure you use lots of quotations throughout. Also remember to read the top of the page, where it is likely to give you a clue about how the poems are linked. You have a whole hour for this section, so do take your time to sort out your ideas before you begin.
    My overall advice would be to have a clear viewpoint and argue your case for whichever type of question (extracts, essays, empathy, advice to the actor or poetry) you are tackling and make sure your arguments are closely supported by the text.
    Good luck!

3. Thankyou,this was very helpful :)

For the essay questions,if you cant remember the quote only the event,how to you explain ? Ive been taught to "PEEL" by making a point then contextulising the quote,quoting and then explaining the language tecniques used by the author.
    If I had to explain how Atticus is presented could I say he was heroic because he stands up for what he believes in despite Maycombs opinion of him. And then could my evidence be, when he defends Tom Robinson even though Scout then gets bullied from school. How would I explain that?
    and then could I talk about how he is courageous because he takes Toms case even though he knows he will lose because he has been "licked"

Im really stuck on the explain & link parts :/

Sorry for all the questions.
    Thanks again :)

4. CandysDog

You have to make your explanation more about the characters and themes than the language.
    You could say something like Atticus puts justice above the welfare of his own family. He knows that it will make things difficult for Scout and Jem in the short term, but he feels morally obliged to help Tom Robinson and show his children that they must do the right thing, even if it is difficult.
    That would seem like an appropriate next point, although you'd have to explain the 'licked' bit well.
    Just keep trying to fully explain the significance of the evidence you have included and try to have your points in a logical order (plan them before beginning writing). On the other hand, don't get too bogged down in sticking to a rigid formula. Your explanations and analysis are going to get you the marks, so focus on these. Let your argument flow.

5. As a PEEL, I thought I'd add a comment, though the advice here is terrific... I have several post on my blog... jwpblog.wordpress.com which might help you sort out a few ideas... have a browse and good luck!

6. Thanks I do feel a lot better now! we did some practice extract questions in class this morning, but we havent really dont alot about poetry techniques, so I think Ill just have to go with it!

Thanks again youve been extremely helpful.

7. Thank you!

8. CandysDog

Don't worry too much about spotting techniques (in fact, that's a really bad idea). Just focus on the effect of the quotations you pick out.
    Good luck for tomorrow!

9. Thankyou!
    Just one more question, What should I do i read the extract or the poem or the title of the essay and I have no idea what to write? , How do I plan quickly and effectively?

Sorry for all the questions im really nervous!

10. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

As far as the poems are concerned - read and answer the bullet points. They are there to help you! Remember to quote - the texts are in front of you. Use them!
    For the extracts, you need to focus on it closely - and quote. Just becuase 'mood and atmosphere' has been the focus on past papers, don't asume it will be tomorrow (it almost certainly won't be).
    For the extract from the novel, you need to look at language in detail, offer your own (supported) interpretation and that is all. Don't think about context - there are no marks for it.

11. Ok, Thanks
    Will I need to use a few quotes in the essay or will writing about the event be enough.

12. gruoch

If you have some relevant quotes learnt, use them. If not, refer closely to the text. Don't put in quotes you've learnt just because you have. It won't impress the marker one bit [​IMG]

13. CandysDog

The easiest way to plan is just to jot down your five-six main points (perhaps with the evidence you are going to use), number them into a logical order and get writing.
    You have a choice on two essays, so the chance of not having any idea what to write is minimal.
    If you really have no idea about the extracts and poems, just pick out quotations and analyse them.

14. CandysDog

I completely agree.

15. I was quite happy with the extract question,I wrote he was calm,patient and understanding and that he had self control and was non violent.

The essay question was a bit saddening,but I came up with Scout when she rubs Walters face in the dirt after she gets in trouble, Jem when he rips up Mrs Dubose flowers because he insulted Atticus and the fact he left the roots there, I wasnt sure if this was really justice,I wrote that this was a childlike view on justice, and then i wrote about Boo getting justice after killing Bob Ewell - Boo gets justice because he proves the gossip is untrue and Bob dies so his daughter and Tom get some kind of justice.I then wrote stuff about the scottsboro trials.

The poems,I started off confused then I linked the moon together in both the poems which made me feel a little better, I wrote some stuff about the content and the language and the mood and atmosphere.I said how the nightfeed poem was talking about how she thought being a housewife was the best role of a woman, but Im not sure I compared them well I did my viewpoint it wasnt that good. Then when I was reading over and noticed that in nightfeed i wrote that perhaps the reader doesnt want her daughter to grow up and the moon "loosing face" at (I cant remember the quote I put) I got the idea that maybe the poem was about breastfeeding,and that the baby was "offended" because she was using a bottle which also presents the viewpoint of nature, because of the moon, but it was too late :( it was most likely wrong but it was more analytical that some of the things I put on.

Overall I dont think it went too well,but theres always Thursday.

:) Thanks for all your advice!

16. And um also , when I was filling in the front of the exam I forgot to put "Unit 1" because we were out of time and I just remembered does this matter?!

17. gruoch

18. CandysDog

Well, it sounds like you had no problem putting in close references to the text. As this was your main fear, you should be pleased. It sounds like you were analytical throughout the paper, so you'll be fine.
    You probably did better than you thought - no one sits the perfect exam. As you say, Thursday is the focus now.
    Good luck for then.

19. CandysDog

Not at all.