1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WJEC English January 2012 (Early Entry)

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by recliningbuddah, Sep 14, 2011.

1. recliningbuddah

recliningbuddah New commenter

Hi all!
    I have just found out from the WJEC that even though we enter our Year 11 candidiates 'early' in January 2012 we will not get their final grade until August 2012! On the old spec we could enter them in November and get the final results in January, then decide to re-set/re-sit etc. The WJEC still will not give us any grade boundaries for the Controlled Assessments and so we are really left hanging in the air until August (eeek!) for the C/D borderline students!
    Is this the same of all the exam boards? Are we now unable to do 'early' entry to get pupils their C grades 'early'? This is news to me and I feel that I have been 'mis-sold' this by the WJEC!
    Anyone got any opinions on this? Did I not listen properly when I went to the WJEC seminar?!

2. recliningbuddah

Hi all!
    I have just found out from the WJEC that even though we enter our Year 11 candidiates 'early' in January 2012 we will not get their final grade until August 2012! On the old spec we could enter them in November and get the final results in January, then decide to re-set/re-sit etc. The WJEC still will not give us any grade boundaries for the Controlled Assessments and so we are really left hanging in the air until August (eeek!) for the C/D borderline students!
    Is this the same of all the exam boards? Are we now unable to do 'early' entry to get pupils their C grades 'early'? This is news to me and I feel that I have been 'mis-sold' this by the WJEC!
    Anyone got any opinions on this? Did I not listen properly when I went to the WJEC seminar?!

3. Thanks for posting this, Buddah. I have some reservations about WJEC myself.
    I think the whole early-entry ethos is being torn up in a big way. Although why they don't just say - 'final exams can only be taken once at the end of the course', I don't know.
    The 40% terminal requirement is the thing that is currently my biggest concern.
    According to the FAQs on the WJEC website 'at least 40%' of the final mark must be taken from 'the final examination series when they certificate'. I hope they mean final assessment, rather than final 'examination' series, otherwise it makes an absolute nonsense of any UNIT 1 or 2 early entries since they are the only 'examination' element and contribute 40% of the grade. In other words they are implying that you MUST take the exam at the end, and this 40% MUST go forward.
    Trying to call back WJEC to confirm this, but everyone is 'in a meeting'.
    Will tell you how I get on.

4. recliningbuddah

Thanks for your response - I've done a little bit more digging and found this on the QCDA:
    "For these GCSEs, a student may only re-sit each unit once. If more than 60 per cent of the assessment is completed before the final exam series, students will have to take at least one re-sit to comply with the terminal assessment rule. The re-sit mark will contribute to the final grade, whether it is higher or lower than the student’s original mark for that unit."
    This seems to imply that if candidates take the exam in January 2012 and then in May 2012, it will be the May mark that counts...whether it is higher or lower!
    I've managed to speak to Wayne Powell at WJEC today and he says that it will be the<u> higher</u> grade that counts out of the two exams taken in Jan and May. He doesn't know what will happen the following year as the Gov haven't decided. He discussed something about 'cashing in' but I really don't understand what this means...do you?
    Thanks

5. 'Cashing in' is when the centre decides they want to take the credit for the units awarded and count them towards the qualification award. At least that's what I've been led to believe in the past.
    The thing I'm really confused about is the 'terminal assessment' procedures.
    If all controlled assessment (presumably including S&L) is to be submitted by 30th March 2011 (as the WJEC important dates confirm), surely it cannot be used as the final assessment piece, and if you want the students to re-sit either Unit 1 or Unit 2 they will need to sit the whole exam paper containing both units so it MUST constitute the final terminal assessment piece (40%) and the marks for both units taken in May/June 2011 MUST count towards a final grade.
    If Wayne Powell says that the higher mark will count regardless, isn't he contradicting the 'final assessment' rule?
    I don't want to go to my senior managers and predict **% students achieve A*-C in English to then discover that the mark they receive second time around makes a nonsense of this. Plus how do you explain to a student that they would have achieved a certain grade, but by trying again they achieved a lower one?
    Madness

6. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

The 40% rule means that 40% of the course must be examined in the final session i.e. when a grade for the overall GCSE is produced. Controlled assessment can be included as part of this 40%. Looking at the specification, the controlled assessment is only examined in January or June. The deadline for entering the marks for June entries may be in March but it will only be aggregated in June therefore counting towards the 40%
    On retakes, if a pupil is retaking an exam and that the exam is part of the final 40% then irrespective of what they achieved in the previous exam, the new mark counts. If they are taking more than 40% at the end then the higher mark will count.
    For pupils going into Yr 10 next year, all units have to be taken at the same time i.e. early entry for part of the course will be forbidden. In the slightly longer term specifications will be rewritten so all assessment will be terminal.

7. recliningbuddah

Done even more digging and looking at Ofqual and QCDA webistes it seems that, thanks to Gove, from 2014 ALL 2 year GCSE courses will be linear and take final assessment at the end of the course - there will be no second attemt - so I'm thinking in year 10 do all CAs for language and enter in summer of year 10 for a final grade so do the course over 1 year) - if they achieve their target grade brilliant and they so lit in year 11. If they don't get their grade, they re-do the lot in year 11 (the problems around this of course is that they will need to re-do all their CAs again as the 'topics' will be changed every year - am I correct in thinking this? oh the mark load!!)
    The poor kids - what's wrong at getting 2 'shots' at it? It's criminal!