1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WJEC English Functional Skills - to do or not to do?

Discussion in 'English' started by recliningbuddah, Apr 21, 2012.

1. recliningbuddah

recliningbuddah New commenter

Thinking of starting Functional Skills with Year 9 - can anyone recommend the benefits of this? I've heard something about it having an adverse effect on the final GCSE gradings but cannot see how.
    Any advice much appreciated!

2. recliningbuddah

recliningbuddah New commenter

Thinking of starting Functional Skills with Year 9 - can anyone recommend the benefits of this? I've heard something about it having an adverse effect on the final GCSE gradings but cannot see how.
    Any advice much appreciated!

3. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

Personally, I wouldn't bother. The qualification itself became pretty much dead-on-arrival when it was made optional just before launch. Because of low uptake, it is unlikely to be well recognised by employers and colleges (and, because it is 'smaller' than a GCSE and ungraded, not at all by league tables). Furthermore, Functional Skills is very dry, so unlikely to engage your students.
    You could probably achieve something much more worthwhile if you just designed your Year 9 curriculum with a functional element in it. Without the restriction of an external qualification, you could take this further by incorporating other skills required for GCSE and make Year 9 into a useful bridging year between Key Stage 3 and GCSE.