1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WJEC controlled assessment language tasks

Discussion in 'English' started by jonathan.peel, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Is anyone else utterly depressed by the CA regime? What does a child learn from this activity? What do teachers learn from this activity? We are told that we can inform the students of the title before they sit the assessment. I have a school of automata who have memorised their description/ narrative and simply regurgitated it - warts and all - as "creative" writing - what a farce! Some have memorised passages from books and been caught, yet this was supposed to put a halt to plagiarism. If anything it is easier. Why not go the whole hog and insist on topics announced at the start of the CA? Why not call it an exam?
    With Shakespeare looming next week, I am utterly fed up.

Jonathan

2. Is anyone else utterly depressed by the CA regime? What does a child learn from this activity? What do teachers learn from this activity? We are told that we can inform the students of the title before they sit the assessment. I have a school of automata who have memorised their description/ narrative and simply regurgitated it - warts and all - as "creative" writing - what a farce! Some have memorised passages from books and been caught, yet this was supposed to put a halt to plagiarism. If anything it is easier. Why not go the whole hog and insist on topics announced at the start of the CA? Why not call it an exam?
    With Shakespeare looming next week, I am utterly fed up.

Jonathan

3. Hi Jonathon, I am a student in Yr 10 and i have done exactly this. I have been involved in plagarism, 1/4 of my Romeo and Juliet romantic love essay is memorised from a website. My teacher found out and is going to talk to my head of year to decide whether to disqualify me. Do you think that they will really disqualify me???. Arujoon

4. At the very least you will be doing it again. CA? No more onerous than coursework, really - well, perhaps I've got a different mindset to lots of teachers. The alternative that I am looking into introducing in my faculty is the IGCSE: all exam and that gives me plenty of opportunity to teach more exciting stuff while ensuring students learn the skills needed to tackle the exam.

5. We are going the same way-IGCSE. How have you got on with the idea? I'd be happy to share and discuss.

Jonathan

6. Hi, so are you saying they wont disqualify me???

7. sunflower48

sunflower48 New commenter

Our students are more focused and seem to have taken a bit more responsibility into the fact it is an 'exam'. We run it as this as well, although it is done in classrooms. Descriptive was better than coursework. We did lots of skills in the run up, short tasks on verbs, noun and verb links etc. Lots of word on vocabulary, lots of work on thinking about planning a task, with a selection of questions taken from past papers. I then think of ones that seem to be similar to the questions and we then look at how we would answer these. We are not doing the question but working on skills that will help it. Surely that is the point of the preparation before you give them the question, so that they know what to do.
    I'm more than happy with controlled assessment and do feel that it has stopped students using the internet.

8. manc

manc New commenter

We are also thinking about IGCSE too for next year. What a shame that this present Year 10 are left having to put up with this dog's breakfast of an assessment methodology.

9. manc

manc New commenter

As usual I have killed the thread. I ought to rechristen myself 'Genghis'.

10. Sorry MAnc... happy to discuss IGCSE at some stage...