1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WJEC CG4 Project Ideas

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Verte Legume, May 19, 2010.

1. This is our first year with WJEC at A2 Computing. We usually do database projects of some sort (Access or MySQL) at A2. I was wondering if anyone had experience of attempting any type of simple games programming, perhaps something easy on the graphics, like 4-in-a-row or noughts and crosses. Any successes / failures with submitting these types of projects? Preferred language would be Java, no Flash.

2. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Be very careful with the O-X-O or 4inarow games as you'd be restricting marks. Check the mark scheme and ensure any project *could* access the whole of it as to do otherwise could be detrimental to the students' results.
    Ours tend to do database projects but we code them using any language the student chooses, usually PHP/MySQL with HTML front ends.
    The student room has a good discussion on this at the moment with some good ideas being bandied about.
    HTH

3. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/
    Just in case you needed a link.

4. Thank you very much. That's exactly why I've resisted games projects before. I could never make them fit the mark schemes well enough. But, I'm sure you must know what it's like with the demands of "more engagement" and "more enjoyment". I just had to ask as we're now on a new board.

5. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

What could be more enjoyable and engaging than putting data into 3NF?
    Seriously; If they want to do a game why not Fantasy Footy/F1/Rugby etc? The database for these is going to be HUGE. Maybe too much for the time/specification?
    That said a WoW type game is essentially a database of power, strength, skills, inventory, locations, .... unfortunately they will get bogged down with how pretty the characters armour is and, if you use the Unreal Game Engine, the size of the t*ts on the Lara Croft type character.
    Ours, who have made a decision, are currently looking at:
    • Cricket Club Stats website - players averages, etc
    • Online Hotel Booking (yawn)
    • Scout Troop register and Achievement Monitoring
    HTH