1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WJEC Catering advice

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by sal40, Jan 24, 2012.

1. I am seriously considering changing from AQA Food Tech to the above single award GCSE. A few questions to those of you who already teach it?
    Does it stretch the higher ability as well as being accessible for the less able?
    What sort of contact/visits do you arrange to colleges/ restaurants and with what focus?
    Is it advisable to include these visits?
    What sort of visiting speakers do you invite?
    Do you think it would be possible to teach this course in 1 hr lesson blocks, or is 2 hours vital.
    Would you recommend the change?
    Thank you, I know this is an ever reoccuring topic!

2. I am seriously considering changing from AQA Food Tech to the above single award GCSE. A few questions to those of you who already teach it?
    Does it stretch the higher ability as well as being accessible for the less able?
    What sort of contact/visits do you arrange to colleges/ restaurants and with what focus?
    Is it advisable to include these visits?
    What sort of visiting speakers do you invite?
    Do you think it would be possible to teach this course in 1 hr lesson blocks, or is 2 hours vital.
    Would you recommend the change?
    Thank you, I know this is an ever reoccuring topic!

3. I moved to Catering a couple of years ago and it is ideal for my students. The practical exams will stretch the higher ability students, the WJEC make it very explicit about which recipes fall into the high, medium and low catergory and therefore guiding you as to what grade they can achieve.
    I have recently made a good contact for a restaurant and this was an amazing experience, the students got to experience first hand silver service and see just how the restaurant works.
    I have in the past had visitors from a local Indian restuarant who came and did a 4 hour workshop, cooking and eating for 18 students for £100.
    I have been teaching it in 1 hour blocks but this year i was given a 2 hour lesson which is a godsend. Its is possible in 1 hour and gives the students a sense of urgency.

Hope this helps xx

4. Yes- I'd recommend it.
    We find it reasonably easy to cover all ability levels.
    As we have so many groups (5 this year) we don't have many trips / visits / visitors- local college is good to see facilities, school canteen too, we've also had a local EHO (but this was easier when we only had 2 groups).
    We have 1hr lessons and it is a rush (we always plan practicals to run into break / lunch if poss) - we insist on 2hr exams though so the students can dovetail tasks & show off higher level skills.
    Support from WJEC is v good & there's plenty of useful resources to support the course.

5. Yes agree with all the above. No you can manage it without visitors and going on visits but worth the extra time it takes organising these. We have a double for practicals which is 90 minutes. Yes I think it is important to give them the time to present their cooking and for adequate feedback time. Otherwise you will wear yourself into the ground.
    It is very popular with the students. They understand Catering. It's what is says on the tin. They didn't understand Food Technology.

6. Thank you for all taking the time to reply.
    I have pretty much decided now to go with it....really fed up with all development in Food Tech and the students are too!