1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WJEC Business Studies GCSE paper from today

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by danlee, May 21, 2014.

1. danlee

danlee New commenter

Is it me or is PAYE NOT on the specification? Yet there was a question on this which I think is unacceptable.

Anybody else feeling annoyed about this?

Dan

2. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

I'm not sure how you would fully cover "distinguish between gross and net pay" without covering PAYE

3. Totally80s

Totally80s New commenter

It is not "explicitly" on the spec but as doomzebra says you cover it when teaching statutory deductions. Anyway it was only 1 mark.

I am more worried by some of my students trying to write an extended answer about improving cash flow or about expanding your business as a franchisor, not as a franchisee.

4. danlee

danlee New commenter

On the contrary, it is easy to distinguish between net and gross without mentioning PAYE e.g. gross pay is hours multiplied by wage or salary plus bonuses. Net is with deductions e.g. statutory and voluntary. If there was a question saying 'distinguish between gross and net pay' i GUARANTEE that PAYE would not be included in the mark scheme as it isn't a part of the definition.

By that logic, doomzebra, do you explain to your students how pension contributions are calculated and collected and how student loan is collected. I suspect not.

Totally80s, I don't have the same issue with those questions as it says on the spec the must know what a franchisee and a franchisor is and it says they must be able to evaluate ways of improving cash flow, thankfully I did this question with them just before the exam.

5. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

You GUARANTEE it (in portentous capitals)?

You suspect wrongly - examples of pension deductions (based on percentage of salary) were covered, as were student loans.

Given the near universality of PAYE as a deduction, it seems to me that the error was yours in not covering this rather than the exam board's in including it.

6. candidates will need to be able to interpret a pay slip and to use it to make numerical calculations.

how can you not talk about PAYE when looking at pay slips etc and how most of the UK pay tax.

As to how to improve cash flow and expanding as a franchisor - how can you not have looked at it from this perspective - especially give the teacher guidance/spec

Overall I thought it was a fair paper - the 6 resource documents for each of the modules produced on the website were good and aided my weaker students in their revision.

7. danlee

danlee New commenter

Simple answer - because it is not on the specification. So you are saying that a payslip cannot be understood unless you look at PAYE. From the spec, I gathered that they need to know what income tax is, but not how it's collected. So do you look at tax code, pension contributions, student loan deductions. Do you also talk about workplace (fringe) benefits and how they are accounted for on the pay slip? What about sick pay? Strike deductions.

I'm interested to know just how much depth you go into so that they can 'interpret' a pay slip. By your logic, they should understand the aforementioned features - which I think is highly unlikely.

8. michael102

michael102 New commenter

I think everyone here has a valid point regarding PAYE, it is completely acceptable for them to put it on the exam but I can equally understand why you may have simply called it 'income tax' and not gone into detail regarding exactly how it is collected as we only need to go that far for Edexcel.

It's just one of them, only 1 mark so don't stress it too much!

9. Totally80s

Totally80s New commenter

Absolutely accept the point that franchisor, franchisee and franchise are on the spec as is cash flow both topics were taught and revised however 2 10 mark questions about improving cash flow and expanding as a franchisor makes it difficult for my students of whom the vast majority are targeted at C or lower.

10. michael102

michael102 New commenter

Won't the grade boundaries reflect this?

11. Totally80s

Totally80s New commenter

I would like to think so

12. Hi all - I'm wondering if you could help. I'm teaching the WJEC for just my Year 11's and they are really struggling to grasp the way in which 10 marks questions should be answered. Is there anyone who would be willing to share place mats or some form of structure that you feel works with your pupils. I'm pulling my hair out here and really hoping someone can help me!

My email is jade_1641@hotmail.com if anyone is feeling they haven't done their good deed today - I hope you can help me!

Cheers all

Jade