1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WJEC band marks V GCSE grades. HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'English' started by Dragonlady30, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Hi folks,
    I'm looking for help here as I'm confused, to say the least.
    Back story-I'm a supply teacher on a long term-ish contract teaching just GCSE English using the WJEC scheme. Formerly, I have taught AQA so WJEC is new to me, particularly the new orders.
    Now then, when I come to my request, it will probably seem stupid and thick of me. No problem; I've been called worse, so feel free!![​IMG]
    In the documents I have been given the marks appear divided beween 6 bands. What I need ti know is how these bands equate to GCSE grades. Six bands/nine possible grades. I'm just not sure where the divisions occur. The fact that me and numbers are not even on speaking terms isn't helping either. [​IMG]
    PLEASE, can one of you more-on-the-ball than me types show me where the divisions occur? I feel far more confident in my teaching when I can show a candidate where they are and what they need to do to improve from one GCSE grade to the one above.
    As I said, this might seem like a 'How thick are you?' or 'What a stupid request' so feel free to criticise, as long as you then tell me what I need to know!!
    Thank you in anticipation.

2. Dragonlady30

Hi folks,
    I'm looking for help here as I'm confused, to say the least.
    Back story-I'm a supply teacher on a long term-ish contract teaching just GCSE English using the WJEC scheme. Formerly, I have taught AQA so WJEC is new to me, particularly the new orders.
    Now then, when I come to my request, it will probably seem stupid and thick of me. No problem; I've been called worse, so feel free!![​IMG]
    In the documents I have been given the marks appear divided beween 6 bands. What I need ti know is how these bands equate to GCSE grades. Six bands/nine possible grades. I'm just not sure where the divisions occur. The fact that me and numbers are not even on speaking terms isn't helping either. [​IMG]
    PLEASE, can one of you more-on-the-ball than me types show me where the divisions occur? I feel far more confident in my teaching when I can show a candidate where they are and what they need to do to improve from one GCSE grade to the one above.
    As I said, this might seem like a 'How thick are you?' or 'What a stupid request' so feel free to criticise, as long as you then tell me what I need to know!!
    Thank you in anticipation.

3. Not a problem. A*= 18-20A = 16-17B = 14-15C= 12-13D = 10-11E = 8-9F= 6-7G = 4-5If the piece is marked out of 20, the simple thing is to double them. I can tell you for certain, off the top of my head, C = 24-27 when marked out of 40.

4. Dragonlady30

You are a superstar and a gentleman Mr D [​IMG]
    Thank you for not pointing out my failings!!!