1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WJEC AS Level Coursework - help!

Discussion in 'English' started by Rain_Cloud, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Hi all,

Am starting the WJEC AS Level coursework next week (literary and non-literary writing with a commentary) and am feeling really stuck. I'm not sure where to start with it or how to teach it...I have some really creative students in the group and also some who are very nervous about writing. ANY suggestions on how to tackle this would be great. I'm new to teaching A-level English :-/
    Many thanks :)

2. Hi all,

Am starting the WJEC AS Level coursework next week (literary and non-literary writing with a commentary) and am feeling really stuck. I'm not sure where to start with it or how to teach it...I have some really creative students in the group and also some who are very nervous about writing. ANY suggestions on how to tackle this would be great. I'm new to teaching A-level English :-/
    Many thanks :)

3. I am teaching this course too. Started off by looking at a variety of non-literay texts and the features they utilise- so things like reviews, journalism etc; then got students to pratice writing short pieces in the style of these genres, before settling on final piece. Then did the same with the literary writing- looked at some different genres of fiction- gothic, romance, dystopian and again practised writing before settling on final piece. The board do like to see variety in students' responses, so a good idea to try and encourage students to go with a range of different genres. Similarly also really thinking about literay/linguistic features that they can incorporate into their own writing, so they will have plenty of things to write about for their comparative commentary. Have alook on WJEC website for examples of a range of different bands of coursework.
    How are you finding the rest of the course (the novels and the poetry anthology?)