1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WJEC - A Level ICT

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by DebbieGordon, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Hi , I'm starting this A Level from Sept - just got confirmation from line managers that it IS timetabled (for the last 2 years they've pulled it off timetable due to low number take-up)

So finally, I''ve got to pull together a Scheme of Work - if anyone out there can help - I'd be more than appreciative of any hints to resources to buy, #tag twitters to follow, wiki's to link into etc. We did run AQA A Level 3 years ago - so do have experience of teaching A level - but as always last minute rush to get it all done!!!

Many thanks in advance

gordon.debbie@ashcombe.surrey.sch.uk

2. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

The key thing is to get yourself onto the INSET, London I assume for you , on October 3rd I think.
    Happy for you to come and visit our place if you want an overview of the course, not too far as I am in Sittingbourne, Kent
    I have created some chalkboards video tutorials that are sold via teach-ict for this course and they appear to be well received AFAICS
    http://www.teach-ict.com/shop/as_lectures/as_lectures_landing.html
    As for twitter, I don't bother for every one tweet of anything useful you'll get 100 tweets of drive.

3. Course - already booked on:)
    Teach-ICT - will be ordered - on list to buy :)

Offer to pop over and visit - massive thanks for offer - will investigate INSET request - I'll be back in touch !

4. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

Will leave it with you - my email is djphillips1408 *at* hotmail *dot* com

5. Can also recommend the course although I always seem to be busy when the London one is on..
    The coursework is an absolute cinch - but spend some time making sure you completely understand the assessment criteria - lots of centres are getting killed because they don't. You will need to spend many, many hours on this; if you get it right, you will have a load of kids with 30%+ already in the bank before they put pen to paper in the exam. Tactically, it's suicide not to put some investment into doing this. Internal moderation (if you have more than one teacher delivering) will also need to be regular and rigid.
    There are loads of resources available: PowerPoints giving an overview of the course and illustrating key points etc (you can use these in lessons), Exemplars with commentary for both the Coursework and the Spreadsheet they have to produce for their exam, past papers with mark schemes and examiners reports, past papers with sample 'A' Grade and 'E' Grade answers and so on. Contact Ian Carey at: ian.carey@wjec.co.uk to get a CD.
    Get access to the WJEC Secure Site - your exam officer should be able to do this for you - this will allow you to get more recent stuff. Also, later on, you will be able to get access to a detailed analysis of your kids' performance, question by question.Very useful.
    The AS theory paper is a wide syllabus which takes time to get through but the level is not that high and VITALLY, you must take time to illustrate what is required for the Spreadsheet part where they answer questions on their spreadsheets - answering this part requires careful planning (to avoid mark-losing repetition) and a decent knowledge of the vocabulary WJEC likes.
    Question spotting is also fairly easy on this syllabus - I usually get it about 75-80% right.
    Good luck! It's better than AQA, believe me.