1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WJEC A LEVEL ICT results

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by ali_jid, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Hi

I was just wondering how other schools did with their WJEC A Level results. My pupils did really badly in IT1 and IT3. They did well in their coursework but their results in the eexam were poor. Iv requested the scripts back.

Im considering a different exam board as the papers seem to be marked very harshly. Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. NeitherMouseNorSock

NeitherMouseNorSock New commenter

Is it that time of year already?

Yes it's pretty standard fayre with WJEC ICT. The mark schemes are ultra-strict, which they need to be to compensate for the A grades achieved by most students on their coursework.

3. larathegiraffe

larathegiraffe New commenter

I don't use WJEC now but if past experience is anything to go by, many questions in the exam will be open and woolly, enabling WJEC to produce a mark scheme made up of essentially any answers they want. It is the mechanism WJEC use to control the overall grades because the coursework students hand in is usually top-notch - it should be as they are largely 'inspired' by the many online solutions available to students to (cough) 'help' them.

Isn't the standard of British education in schools today just wonderful?

Can you post a copy of this year's exam papers and I'll take a look. There is one basis for appeal which I suuccessfully argued many years ago and which resulted in some of my students' grades increasing significantly but I need to see the papers first to see if it applies.

4. compoit

compoit New commenter

Had the same problem again with IT3, really dreadful results and will be carrying out an investigation to see if we are not teaching it correctly or there is some other problem. IT1 was reasonable.

5. Hi Lara

I only have access to the IT3 paper. The forum is playing up at the moment and will not let me attach the copy. Can I email it to you?

Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated. Have you moved to another exam board now?

Thank you

6. Hi compoit

Let me know how you get on. Results were really disappointing this year. I have requested all the scripts back!

7. bikesmith

bikesmith New commenter

This is worrying! I have just decided to move from WJEC as AQA seems ridiculously hard. I a have done OCR at a previous school and wasn't keen. Edexcel only seems to do Applied ICT so WJEC seemed the best option and the papers seemed reasonably easy. Now I am not so sure from these comments.

8. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

It's the same every year for this course, we had mediocre exam scores but with pretty much all kids maxing the coursework then overall the results were very strong.

We requested scripts back 2 years ago but they always back their markers and if it ain't on the mark scheme then you won't get marks for it, even if technically you feel the answer is correct.

9. Hi Djphillips

Alot of these kids got a grade U which really pulled down their grades. What sort of grades did your students get? Any suggestions on how they can do better? Big fan of your work by the way :)

10. djphillips1408

IT1

A = 3

B = 9

C = 8

D = 8

E = 4

U = 7

IT3

A = 0

B = 2

C = 6

D = 3

E = 4

U = 9

Pretty "normal" results but with full marks on coursework pulled everyone up in a big way so lots of A and B overall and only 1 E and 2 D for both AS and A2. IT3 down on what I would have hoped for but it's the same every year (plus not the best group) and the only way they can keep the grades "realistic" for JCQ/OFQUAL

As for how to improve - learn the mark schemes and hope everyone else does not get their kids to do it as well as you do...

11. larathegiraffe

It is a very sad state of affairs when someone celebrates "success" on the back of pretty appalling exam results but outstanding coursework results. These students clearly cannot do very much and know very little, but are great at coursework, which is widely acknowledged as being so easy to cheat in and lacking any credibility, and end up with a decent grade. If I were the teacher of this lot and still worked in a grammar school of selective academic students, sadness, acute embarrassment and shame would be flowing through my arteries.

12. compoit

compoit New commenter

These are the overall results for both IT1 & IT3:

IT1 Question Overall Average

1 2/6

2 3/8

3 1/4

4 2/6

5 2/8

6 1/2

7 4/8

8 8/18

9 1/4

10 7/16

IT3 Question Overall Average

1 4/6

2 4/5

3 2/4

4 4/6

5 3/4

6 3/5

7 2/5

8 3/6

9 2/5

10 4/9

11 3/10

12 4/8

13 5/9

14 3/8

15 4/6

16 1/2

17 1/3

18 2/6

13. djphillips1408

Alternatively as the national average score for the AS level on the exam is always E/U borderline and the national average for the A2 exam is D/E borderline then quite frankly I am pretty pleased. Admittedly bit gutted with A2 scores but hey ho kids were all happy and so was my headteacher. Pleasing them is just a fraction more important than impressing you.....

14. larathegiraffe

15. djphillips1408

Perhaps you should ring my head with your concerns and see what they say. Borden Grammar Sittingbourne, use google to find the phone number.

you never know he might even offer you my job after your spell in Kazakstan has now come to its end

16. larathegiraffe

You've missed the point, both the point I was making and the point of education.

17. djphillips1408

You seem to be under the impression I care about any point you make or have ever made.

18. danlee

danlee New commenter

Shame on you DJPhillips because you are bringing the profession into disrepute. Why did you become a teacher?

Bravo larathegiraffe for your comments, which I agree with.

DJ Phillips you appear to unaware of the statistical analysis involved in exam marking. The distribution of grades should look like a bell curve (Google it if you don't know what that means), therefore, if pupils entered for the exam have unrealistically high CA results then the marks for the exam are going to be brought down. The actual distribution should reflect the bell curve with the majority of grades around the C grade area. Mark boundaries are set according to the performance of the cohort.

Dan

19. djphillips1408

Sorry bit confused here Dan, are you saying that I should make sure my kids don't max out the coursework to satisfy a statistical pattern? Look they drafted this spec about 10 years ago and if you teach it you will realise that the coursework has no marks at all for quality of the work, it's just "if you have that then you get a mark", there is nothing about how well it is done and this was the mistake at the outset. So basically if you send lots of letters home, keep your kids in after school and keep the parents in the loop constantly about where they are at then there is no reason that any kid of any ability can not score maximum marks on the coursework. Frankly if a kid does not max out the coursework then the fault lies with the teacher, there is no cheating involved you just make the kids do the work. So that's why the average score on the AS course for the exam is either a low E or U grade. They have to hammer the marking of the exam and push up the grade boundaries every single year so that JCQ/ OFQUAL don't allow 90% of kids who do the course to get an A.

Tell you what why don't you email the subject officer and ask them to release the data on national exam results. I do every year and get told "we don't have that data", we all know that's not true. I guess perhaps it does not fit with your bell curve very well, yet the overall scores do.

Oh yes one thing be very careful about implying on a public forum that I am in some way cheating, because that my friends is libellous and I don't take well to it. I get the grades cos I work bloody hard at making sure my kids do the coursework as the exam is a lottery of rote learning past mark schemes and nothing else.

20. larathegiraffe

"the exam is a lottery of rote learning past mark schemes and nothing more"

You could get great results and actually provide an education as well if you really could be bothered. You have opted out of educating your very bright students in favour of coursework game-playing and exam rote learning. I suspect they would get great results with a TA in front of them, so what is the point of them having a 'professional' teacher? Education, professional teachers, helping students to think for themselves and grow their knowledge and be able to apply it, setting a great example, is so much more than playing a system. You have made a choice to do that and that's why you have let down your students. They are receiving a grade. They are not receiving an education.