1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wizard of Oz instrumental arrangements

Discussion in 'Music' started by YesMrBronson, Feb 21, 2012.

1. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Braces self for a monsoon of posts about copyright...

2. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

"<strike>The WOZ"</strike> - The WIZ?
    Do some thing different that you can get the parts for?

Do a variety show (my personal favourite)?

3. Play (Drama dept.) with musical items within....
    Have managed to find a sax quintet arrangement now but that's about it.

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

5. marlin

6. marlin

7. Should I do the honours Mr. B?
    You need to apply for the performnance rights, without them you are doing it illegally/breaching music copyright. If you pay for the rights you will be sent the orchestral parts.
    As discussed many times on these fora there is no evidence to suggest that the companies issuing the rights for musicals have ever sued a school but if you have no intention of paying to put on the piece then you could be the first. I would also check your HoD/SMT are aware of your plans to breach copyright and are happy to go along with it.

8. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

It's very unlikely they would, because of
    (a) the enormous cost of civil litigation if the case should fail and
    (b) the negative publicity that would result from headlines such as "Billion-dollar Disney industry reduces pupils to tears by cancelling their production of the Wizard of Oz".
    But what is much more likely to happen is the rights holder's solicitor sending a private but formal letter to the headteacher and/or chair of governors, pointing out that the intended production contravenes their rights in the show concerned.
    It's not the sort of black mark that would go down well on anyone's employment record, so I think your advice to consult the SMT on this issue is good.

9. Firstly, if you are not doing the SHOW of the wizard of Oz but are doing a drama written yourselves you would avoid any copyright breach as the book is out of copyright and free to be adapted by anyone - as as long as the script was significantly different you are ok.

Now a equation. . . When we do school concerts and a soloist performs a song by Rhianna do need to apply for copyright? I certainly don't, and im doing my own arrangement of rolling in the deep in two weeks time.

If popsongs dont require the same performing rights shluck then you could insert 5 relevant sonzgsand do it that way!

10. The book may be but the stage show isn't.
    No, you just need a PRS license.
    When it comes to songs from musicals the guidelines are very stringent.

http://www.guidetomusicaltheatre.com/copyright/performance_regulations.htm

11. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

A school near us was not allowed to put on Joseph as it was touring professionally at the same time. They didn't seem to care about the appalling publicity this created. They know people will go to their shows no matter what and couldn't give a toss for primary schools. I thought it was a bit dim as there was every likelihood that the school in question would have taken their children to the touring production to see how they did it. I try not to patronise anything associated with ALW these days.