1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Without wishing to sound greedy...!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ESLAB, Feb 3, 2012.

1. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

Hi, I am a NQT and am in the extremely lucky position that I have just been offered a permanent position when my one year temporary contract comes to an end. The offer is worded as being "under the same conditions as now" which I assume is referring to hours and pay etc. My question is this: I am 43 years old with much prior school experience (voluntary parent helper for years and then TA/HLTA whilst I gained my degree). I have read that Pay can be increased dependent on relevant experience. Would I have a case to approach my HT and ask to go up the Pay Scale? (The main reason I need to do this is because my husband was made redundant last year and is starting up his own business, so we are living off my income at the moment - any extra I can get would obviously help enormously). If anyone could let me know whether asking for an increase in Pay is realistic in these harsh economic times, that would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Congratulations on landing the job. There's no harm in asking if you can start at a higher level to take account of your previous experience.

3. char2505

char2505 New commenter

No harm in asking. I have a colleague who started one step ahead from starting salary, not sure if she had extra experience of school, but she is a little older.

4. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

I think you'll be extremely lucky, but if it's not a deal breaker for you I guess there's no harm in asking. The problem is there are probably 200 NQTs who'd do that job on M1 so you'll need to justify why they should pay you more than they need to for you.

5. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

Well done on securing a permanent contract!
    As previous posts have said ... you'll be lucky if they bump you up the pay scale based on your experience. As far as I'm aware, it isn't up to the school, although that may have changed.
    I did loads of Secondary supply, worked as a parent helper for 3 years and then a TA for more than 2 years and none of it counted.
    Worth asking though
    Carrie [​IMG]

6. I qualified in my 40s through the graduate teacher programme after quite a bit of other experience and didn't expect to start above the bottom of the scale, but found that the county that was employing me in my first job said (can't remember how I found out) that prior experience could be taken into account. I decided it was worth following up, but didn't have any paperwork for previous jobs about twenty years earlier, so I ended up going to a solicitor to make an affidavit (? right terminology?) that I'd done several years paid employment. Which got me two points up the scale. It all seemed a bit odd, as the work that was credited had nothing whatever to do with teaching, but the ten years voluntary work didn't count for anything (not surprising, but that was far more useful).
    I approached the county, rather than the school. Whether it would still work now, I've no idea, with schools all being so pinched for money. Also, I'm now wondering whether it was such a good plan, as it makes me more expensive now, and possibly less able to get a new job (I've only had short term contracts).
    Good luck - and well done for getting a permanent contract.

7. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

you're only likely to get anything for relevant teaching experience, if anything at all.

8. Probably true now, but my previous credited experience was working in a
    science lab and with a publisher. Neither were remotely teaching experience.

9. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

you were lucky, hats off to you! i had 15 years experience in financial services - all that admin experience has come in very handy. most days.

10. I was lat(er) into teaching and the head in my NQT year offered me a post 2 points up the scale. I bit his arm off (and am still teaching at the same school now)!
    My previous experience was not remotely teaching related, I should add.
    So nothing to be lost by asking.