1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Without wishing to sound greedy...!

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by ESLAB, Feb 3, 2012.

1. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

Hi, I am a NQT and am in the extremely lucky position that I have just been offered a permanent position when my one year temporary contract comes to an end. The offer is worded as being "under the same conditions as now" which I assume is referring to hours and pay etc. My question is this: I am 43 years old with much prior school experience (voluntary parent helper for years and then TA/HLTA whilst I gained my degree). I have read that Pay can be increased dependent on relevant experience. Would I have a case to approach my HT and ask to go up the Pay Scale? (The main reason I need to do this is because my husband was made redundant last year and is starting up his own business, so we are living off my income at the moment - any extra I can get would obviously help enormously). If anyone could let me know whether asking for an increase in Pay is realistic, that would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I always say there's nothing to stop you asking; however, as you've been employed for a year in the first instance, it's extremely unlikely they will increase your pay now. Why should they? The time to ask for a higher pay point is at the beginning of your employment.